Thursday, April 25, 2013

Keep those doggies rollin'

I get a weekly email from TravelZoo - I have yet to book anything I have seen, but the list of their top twenty finds for the week makes me salivate in a most unattractive way. I don't foresee any travel in my near to mid future. I did go to Victor NY today and that almost killed me.

Today was an eye appointment for mom. Silly me, I scheduled it for before lunch. Which meant that mom wasn't at her sharpest or quickest. We made it mostly on time, but only through my consistently reminding mom to keep on with her tasks - eating, bathroom stuff, getting dressed. Both of the shirts that I picked out for her she rejected, leaving us with an unappealing green shirt that she has worn frequently - and didn't, of course, recognize. Getting her dressed is getting to be more of a challenge. Sigh. I did eventually get her into the car and we headed to Canandaigua - there was a slight detour which didn't really delay us too much - just enough to make us 2 minutes late for the appointment. Not too shoddy, actually! A win in my book.

Mom got examined and dilated and her cataract surgery scar tissue got zapped fairly quickly without much waiting and fuss. Yay. Sadly, we have to go back a third time. Grrr. More co-pays.

Now comes the tougher stuff. Being in a car with my mom for almost two hours was not the most pleasant experience I have ever had. She just talked the entire time. Asking questions and making comments. Being the dutiful, validating sort of son I am trying to be, I do my best to answer all of the questions (even the 20th time the question is asked)(why did we go to the eye doctor?) and some sort of acknowledgement of mom's comments and observations. This can get very, very wearing. At least to me. And sprinkle into the conversation talk of money. My favorite of my mom's reactions to my saying that I don't like to talk about money is "Then I can't talk about anything!" Sigh. At one point, I did get a tad more than a little frustrated and snapped at her. At which point she said then she would stop talking. I said good. And she said "Oh, what a pretty tree" and continued on from there. From experience, I know that it takes a good four hours for her to run down.

But we survived our adventurous day. After the eye doctor, we went to Victor to get me some new underwear! Yay! I wanted to go to Target because I dislike supporting Wal-Mart. On the way, we stopped for lunch at a restaurant called Mickey Finn's. Mom said she wasn't very hungry, so we split a delicious Reuben, some cole slaw and a side of onion rings. Pretty tasty!

At the Target, we got mom two new long sleeve shirts. I hope she likes them the next time I get her dressed. She may, she may now. We won't know until it happens. We also got some Aleve because her eyes were hurting - another question that came up a zillion times. All in all, a successful, though loooong, trip.

I went out, briefly, to visit Leaf Kitchen, but looking through the window, I saw that all four bar seats were occupied, so I came home again. Life is that way sometimes.

No comments: