Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Rhap Music

As you may (or may not) recall, I moved my stuff from NC to NY. And in that stuff was an electric piano I bought with my well deserved gains from working at Macromedia. Over the years (since 2000) I haven't played it as much as I would have liked. Recently, I set it up in the office in the back of the house next to the xBox. I am now playing a little bit - sometimes quite a little bit - every day. Yay!

Someplace and sometime, I got in my noggin the idea that I would like to learn around 10 piano pieces that I could play with confidence. I was thinking a variety would be nice. The first piece that I have is a piece that I learned (mostly) when I was in 8th grade - goodness that was a while ago - I guess I was 12 or 13 which makes it 40ish years - eeeek - Maple Leaf Rag by Scott Joplin. I am getting better. Picking the other 9 or so hasn't gotten very far, though I do have some ideas.

When I got my "thank you" note from the High School production of Hairspray, I ordered some music from Amazon - Pink Floyd, The Beatles and a copy of Rhapsody in Blue for Piano only. Oh. My. Goodness. This version couldn't have been written with a pianist in mind! There are a few 10 note spreads in the left hand. Eeek! And at a couple of points, it looks like it is necessary to have a second pianist play for awhile. Not helpful. So I ordered another one - that one was arranged by the person who taught Gershwin how to play the piano. Hopefully it will be a little more playable. I need a couple of other pieces - probably a couple of easy-ish classical pieces. We shall, of course, see.

I got nothing done, really, Monday. I had such high hopes and great plans. Instead, the new aide came - I think she is growing on mom - not like a fungus - as in mom is liking her better than she did at first. The aide cleaned mom's bathroom and then helped her to plant the amaryllis that Juliet gave me for Christmas. We are going to see if we can make it work! Yay plants! (This is meant insincerely - I kill plants for a living.) (Ok, I don't - but I do have a black thumb of death where house plants are concerned...)

I did go to the bank and the grocery store. That's productive, right!

No comments: