Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pragmatism?

Yesterday, while mom was getting dressed in clothes that I picked out for her, she announced that there was a bug in her bed! Luckily, it was not a bed bug but a pill pug. I flicked it to the floor and then left the room. Mom asked me what I was doing, as I returned with a manilla folder and a plastic cup. I told her, and proceeded to take the bug outdoors and release it. Mom was worried that it might come back in. I thought that highly unlikely and told her so. As I was taking the folder back to my room for future bug removal duty, I noticed for the first time in three years that the folder was labeled "Pragmatism." Is returning bugs to nature pragmatic? Hmm.

Started reading another of my Elder Care related books. This one, from 2002 - how did I get such an old copy - sure it is used, but still, 2002? That is like the dark ages - and for a book that is a "resource" book, older is not better, generally. I will work my way through it - though I might end up scanning and skimming 'cause I am not finding it all that breathtakingly wonderful so far.

Some of my reading was done while waiting at the dentist's office. Does anyone know any holistic dentists in the Central NY area? By holistic - I mean ones who are focused on saving teeth rather than razing teeth? I have found that most dentists would rather drill and pull than try to save teeth more naturally...sigh. Anyway, we were at the dentist for mom. I worry that she doesn't brush well. Or often. I try to get her to brush at least twice a day...anyway, she got a good bill of dental health for the most part - just needs to brush better according to the dental hygienist - who mom didn't like as well as one she recalls she had a different time. Yay memories!

Meanwhile, I got to work at the Smith again last night. The movie Chasing Ice was being presented. And the main guy from EIS and the primary person behind the film, James Balog, was on hand to give a presentation before the movie and to answer questions afterwards. Which necessitated sound support and lighting support. The way the Smith is currently configured, David couldn't be in two places at once (in the projection booth and at the sound/light station in the middle of the orchestra area) so he asked me if I would help. Which I was glad to do. Always happy to earn a little money rather than pay a little money. So mom got to watch the movie for free! And I got to work a little. Sadly, one of the presenters didn't know how to use a microphone.It is so weird that it actually helps to speak directly into the thing... Still, we managed and survived and everyone seemed mostly happy.

Chasing Ice, although not perfect as a movie, is still a must see - full of great images and very powerful in its visual depiction of climate change. It will be on Netflix in June. There is a book too, but despite mom's subtle hints, we opted not to purchase it. Just what the house needs, one more coffee table book that will be looked at once or twice every 20 years...

Afterwards, I dropped mom at home and headed out to Red Dove Tavern for a beer - invited David, who did come by, had a nice chat with Jessica the lovely bartender. Sarah the server actually spoke with us a bit - probably because David was there. Home, bed, sleep and another day has begun!

No comments: