Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mom's 60th Reunion Day 2

Long day yesterday! I stayed up too late and was awoken a bit earlier than was comfortable. Oops. I ought to have gone to sleep earlier. Life is that way sometimes. Sadly, the bed is not optimal. I think it would need a mattress cover to make it a little less slippy for me to be more comfortable. I did, though, score a second pillow, and that helped last night. Anyway, mom appeared in my doorway and wanted to go to breakfast. What the heck is that? Well, we managed to get there and find food. Mom ate, I watched (since I don't usually eat anything until after I do my morning yoga). We sat with a few of her classmates and a woman from the class of 1942 and her daughter. The older woman was amazing, especially for her age. Her daughter is a renowned paleo-anthropologist who is working on the origins of man in Africa. Wow. (The daughter went to Radcliffe, not Smith...)

After breakfast, our first mission was to find mom's lost classmate - Nell Cochran. We found her! Turns out she was class of 1951! No wonder she didn't show up in any class literature. We gave her a call and they had a nice chat. Yay! Check one major thing off mom's stress list! We also had a brief visit with Juliet (my sister) who is class of 1962. We arranged to get together later in the day to chat. Suddenly it was lunch time. I made mom take the trail of tears to get to the dorm where food was being served.

Lunch was buffet styles, lots of salad type stuff. Followed by dessert! Yay dessert!

After lunch, we headed back to the dorm for a rest before going on about our business. I was so exhausted, I napped for an hour. Ooops. Mom had wanted to go to the Smith Art Museum, but the timing didn't work out. Instead we met up with Juliet and just puttered around until it was time to head to dinner.

Dinner was at what used to be the Faculty Club. Nice building on the side of the river. Drinks on the porch were great - I had a good Longtrail IPA or three. Everyone chatted up a storm. I had a good talk with mom's friend Martha before dinner. At dinner, which was much better than the meal the night before, we had steak and asparagus and mashed potatoes. Yum. We were also serenaded by the Smith n' Poofs - an a capella group. Great stuff! The speaker was the current head of the Smith Museum. Long and interesting.

Back to the dorm for a sing along, which I barely attended, choosing instead to rectify the lack-of-tooth-care-products issue. And stopping for a beer (Peak Organic Hop Noir - a black IPA) at Hinge. I liked Hinge way better than The Dirty Truth for some reason.

Back home, and to bed so I could get up and do it again!

Juliet and Mom

Mom under the reunion banner

Pretty flowers

Lunch table

Salads

Some reunion people

Pat was paying attention - mom, well...

Ellie and Martha

Decent Dinner


Sing along

Beer List at Hinge

2 comments:

Bosey said...

Ma looks super great in all the reunion photos...so many lovely outfits! nd her hair is soooo pretty! She looks like she is having a very happy time.

Bosey

Augustus said...

Thank you Bosey!