Thursday, May 17, 2012

Beer Wednesday was Beer-a-licious!

Well, beer fun-tastic at least. Interesting day as well. At least I think it was interesting. Heck, I think most of what I think or do is interesting. That's one reason I write a blog. Yay blog! Yay me! Rah, rah! :)

Ok, so I am working hard to try and fix my flipping problem in my iPhone application, Flippety. I made some good steps yesterday, which always makes me happy. I can feel the solution at the edges of my eye - you know how you think you see something out of the corner of your eye, but when you look straight at it, there isn't anything there. Well, that is how this problem feels to me. I actually showed the app to two people at the Beautiful Beef and Brew and they both seemed to get it. That is great! I just wish the flipping thing had worked correctly all the time. Poop.

But I am, once again, getting ahead of myself. I know I have mentioned this before, but part of writing is repetition. Some days, it just seems that everywhere I look, I see attractive women. Other days, not so much. Yesterday was an attractive woman day. Starting with a knock on the door. How weird is a knock on the door? I haven't had a knock on the door very frequently recently, so it seemed like a bit of a shock. When I got downstairs, one of the prettiest women I have seen in a long time was standing on the porch. With a cat. The cat was one I have seen wandering around the yard and campus. Turns out that it may have been abandoned by a student - at least that was the woman, I will call her "J," thought. J works up the street from the house and had seen the cat and thought maybe it was ours. I said it wasn't, and for grins and giggles, I opened the house door to see what the cat would do. It walked inside. I did have an ulterior motive - to see if mom took to the idea of the cat. She didn't. Her concerns were minor, but her reaction seemed pretty negative. And I did agree with her concerns, partly. Eventually I let the cat back out, after talking with J again (sigh) and we decided we would wait and see what happened. I gave J a card and said I would check back in with her after we returned from our trip - in about six weeks. Mom says she wants a cat, but apparently not just this second. Maybe when she is more prepared after we return. I think pets would be good for her. Me, I like other people to have pets. I am enough for me to take care of for the time being. Well, me and mom.

Then out to the Beautiful Beef and Brew. Unfortunately, Lorraine had been released early, so I didn't get to chat with her. Fortunately, K was there as a server. I haven't seen her in a long time so that was good. And even better, the bartender was C. So, for my last visit to the Beef and Brew for a while, it was a good one. I had three beers - Lost Coast Tangerine - great, Wagner's SledDog Doppelbock - good - and Victory Golden Monkey - a Belgian style Tripel - which for what it was was good, just not my favorite style.

Dinner was supposed to be roast chicken from Wegman's, but they were out of them and weren't going to have any more for 20 minutes, so I just bought some raw chicken and brought that home. Slathered the pieces with butter, ground some pepper and dashed some garlic salt on top and baked them for a while. Yay! Add some corn that mom was kind enough to shuck and some fresh green beans, and ta dah! a decent dinner. I had picked up Extremely Loud and Terribly Close from Redbox, since I had forgotten to put out our NetFlix disk in the mail on Monday. It was very good. If I didn't know there was a book (which was great) it would have been even better. Luckily, I read the book a while ago, so the differences didn't disturb me. Glad we watched it!

My bedside table sometimes

Dinner from Tuesday - fresh made shrimp eggrolls, spinach and twice baked potatoes

The cat - who seemed like a nice cat...

Dinner from last night

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog. I check it everyday to see how Renee is doing. It gives me some comfort because she was my mentor for so many years. It was my fault that I haven't been in touch more often. The last time we spoke, it was after she called Brown to find my phone number. When she called, my husband answered the phone. I came home and heard that she called and called her right away. She chided me for wasting time calling her because my job is so busy...She sounded exactly like my parents when I told them I would go visit them. It sounds like, because of your care, she is still leading a quality life. I am really touched by what you are doing, even though you said it was not all motivated by the wish to care for your mom. I've heard from another friend who took care of her husband with Alzheimer how hard it is. I am sure your mom appreciates having you nearby. Just want you to know what a good son you are in the eye of a daughter who has not been able to care for her parents in China. That's been on my mind a lot lately. Please tell Renee I said hello and send her my love. Best of luck with your experiment the iphone application.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was from me, Luying.

Augustus said...

Thank you Luying!