Thursday, May 31, 2012

Great Lake!

It was a full-ish day yesterday. Started with getting together with Justin, a friend of a friend who may become a friend. He is going to look after the house and water the plants while mom and I are traveling. Hopefully we will not have a repeat of the water pipe break that we had a few winters ago. He seems like a knowledgeable, hard working person. And he might be willing to help out with some of the tasks that the handyman we were working with before has not opted to do. He did, in fact, take away the pile of detritus that the other HM left after working on a job. Finally! I think it has been there almost a year. Sigh.

Next, a quick tour of the peonies in mom's garden. I just hope that she doesn't miss them entirely.

Lastly, off to Sodus Bay. A friend is working/living up there. I have never visited that town, so I thought it might be fun to pop up. It is only about 40 minutes from Geneva. And boom, there one is, on the edge of a lake. A great lake. A Great Lake even! Huge! Like a little inland ocean - though fresh water. Lake Ontario.

I went to two places - Abe's and Captain Jack's. Both were nice enough. Abe's was out of the one beer that I wanted to try - the only local beer they had on tap. Oh well. Captain Jack's had a lot of local beers - relatively. In the end, though, I opted for a Samuel Adams beer - Nahti? It was very hoppy and quite good. Went well with my ribs! Yay ribs. This was the second time this week that I had homemade chips with my meal. The only thing that would have made them better was if they were fresh from the from the oven.

After that, I headed to Newark, NY to visit the only Parker's that I hadn't visited. It was a nice one, but they didn't have anything exciting on tap, so I had to resort to an old standby - Ithaca Apricot Wheat. Only after I sat down and ordered, did I notice that they had the UFO Raspberry Hefe. Poo.

I got home and made Almond Roca. Well, Almond Toffee Crunch. I had some stuff leftover (nuts, toffee and chocolate) so had that for dessert. Yum!

So that was my adventurous (adventuresome?) day.

Mom's Peony bed - not lush, but there are a few

Peony

Sodus Bay

Abe's

Sam Adams Nahti

Captain Jack's

Ribs

Great Lake!

Parker's Newark

Almond Roca leftovers

2 comments:

naturegirl said...

I have to say the ribs look good as do the chips ...lol beautiful bay and lake ...looks like you had a pretty good day of adventuring ...well done :-)

Augustus said...

Thank you B!