Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lump Day was fun!

So, did anyone do the math and figure out how often leap year falls on a Wednesday, resulting in a Lump Day? Maybe someone did and the answer can be found on the internet. Wait a sec...nope, couldn't find the answer there. I have some smart friends, maybe one of them (or one of you) will come up with the answer for us...

Lump Day was pleasant for me.

Got a good bit done on programming studying. It actually began to feel like it was a doable thing for me. Yippee! I am almost done with the big book on Beginning iOS 5 Development - and am starting to read through the Learn Objective-C on the Mac book. Maybe by the end of April I will have a couple of prototype apps ready for people to look at. That would be nifty. Maybe even a goal...Speaking of the first book, I think I am going to skip a couple of the chapters (for now) and move onto the last two chapters for the time being. The ones I am skipping are the one on gestures - I don't anticipate using a lot of arcane gestures in any of my apps - geo-location - none of my apps are going to care where in the world someone is - I might at some point look into - Wheel Gyro and the Accelerometer - but not just yet. And since I haven't forked over the $99 to Apple yet, I can't get the apps on my phone to try them out in any case. The two last chapters - on talking to the image database and localization, just look like good things to know.

It was also beer day at the lovely Beef and Brew. No Lorraine and no Tiffany. Poop. But Steve was pleasant enough. And Kaitlin showed up, which always makes me happy. She is still working her way through her second semester of an Associates in Business from FLCC. And started to learn how to tend bar! Good for her! I had my three beers - Widmer's Drifter Pale Ale was a pretty tasty American Pale Ale - not as hoppy as a Sierra Nevada - Stevens Point Belgian White - which was not very wheaty or very belgiany - I think it was supposed to be a competitor to Blue Moon - but didn't succeed - lastly, Redbridge - which was made by Anheuser Busch - gluten free - made from sorghum I think - and sweeter for that. If I can avoid them, I don't drink "free" beers - gluten-free, alcohol-free etc. But since I am drinking through a list of beers, I can't avoid them. This one wasn't bad at all, actually. Despite being made by A-B. :)

Then it was dinner time! I had a notion in the back of my mind, to make Sweet and Sour pork for dinner. Don't know where it came from, but there it was. So I bought a few ingredients at Wegman's (not too many a-t-m's there last night) and came back to the house and whipped up dinner. Which turned out deliciously! I cut the pork into pieces that were big enough for two bites - and everything was just dandy! Yay!

We had a weird DVD problem that I haven't had before. The disk refused to let us choose an episode to watch. Not sure what that was about. NetFlix is sending us two "we're sorry" disks and a replacement for the one that didn't work. Yippee! Squeaky wheels rule! :)

Yay sweet and sour pork!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on dinner! I want to eat at your house. How did your mom like it?

Augustus said...

My mom is appreciative of everything I cook - even the stuff that doesn't turn out so well - but this she seemed to enjoy! You are welcome at the house any time, Anonymous - just let me know when so that I can make larger portions! :)