Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blue and Gray

Or do I mean grey. Hmm. Anywho, weren't those the colors for the Confederacy during the American Civil War? Wow, great! At some point on my political blog, I am sure I will end up writing about the Civil War. Yes, I haven't posted the first entry there yet. I have three written but haven't figured out if I like them or want to re-write them. We shall see. That is one of the many little things that is helping me to feel a tad blue just now. Maybe I will cure that little bit today.

Luckily, this here is a Sunday blog, and as such will probably have even lower readership than normal! Yippee! (I did, though, post another Writing Blog entry - not scintillating, but something...)

Oh and the gray comes from the day - it is overcast (as is frequently the case here in lovely Geneva) and my sweatpants and t-shirt are both grey. TED - does everyone know about the TED series of talks? - A friend posted a cool one about magic thinking - the gist of it was, well, what I took away was - the best way to be productive and creative was to work until you got tired of working. Then play. Then play until you get tired of playing and then work. Which is just the way that I like to do things - and have liked to do things for as long as I can remember. Which is one reason that I can't stay in any one job for too long. Too much work and not enough play...

More reasons for blueness - money. Why the heck do money and I have such an antipathetical relationship? I could really use a decent monthly influx of cash. Donations gratefully accepted. Though I do have products out there - that no one is buying! I really need to do something about that but just feel paralyzed. My thought is to buy Google ad or Facebook ad time for my books. But the process is a smidge intimidating - and there is, big surprise, a cost involved. Which of course gets paid up front. And why have so few of my "friends" bought copies? What is that about? Grrr. Part of me wishes that the Saucers weren't so far away, so that I could a) drown my sorrows at a place that makes me, generally, happy b) work on my 20th plate and c) sell copies of Diary of a Plate Addict. My current thought is to head down to Charlotte and Columbia for my birthday - have a couple of days at each Saucer. But have I written to either of the managers? Nope. I am just feeling a bit defeated by the whole thing. A friend's friend wrote a book and has already sold more than 1000 copies - a novel! I guess he has more friends than I do. Or friends who are more supportive than some of my friends are. By the way, for those of you who have purchased copies (especially those who didn't feel they needed to, or that the book was expensive yet bought copies anyway) you all are awesome!

Lack of a relationship is another little blue note. And I don't have any idea what the heck to do about that."Do nothing," is the common piece of very helpful advice. "It will happen when it happens." Great. Woo hoo!

And there is mom. Sometimes the whole situation just makes me feel sad. Ok, it often does. I feel like I am not really all that much value add for her here. I know, for instance, I am not cleaning up the house very quickly or effectively. And that is sad-ifying.

Well, enough of the pity party. Mom and I went out last night! Woo hoo! Rocking Saturday night when your hot date is your 81 year-old mom! Yippee! Gosh, I am such the babe-magnet! Anyway, we went to see The Artist. I mean, why not, since it got the Best Movie Oscar and the leading man got the Leading Man Oscar. I thought that it was good, not great. Any number of movies actually from that era were as good or better. The lead was pretty good - not having seen all of the other nominated performances, I can't really compare and contrast. I am glad I went, but I don't think that a copy of it will adorn my DVD collection shelf any time soon. After that we went to Friendly's for dinner. Mom does like going to Friendly's. It was quite busy - I keep forgetting not to go on Weekend Nights - but that is when the movies are, so...Jeanette, one of the servers, was nice and even gave mom a hug. Mom ended up having sweet and sour shrimp, which she enjoyed, and I had a so-so reuben. At home, our exciting evening was topped off with watching the first two episodes of Season 2 of Rome. All in all, a pleasant day. I hope Lucius Verenus pulls himself out of the black place in which he has found himself...please, no spoilers!

Yay movies!

Mom's friendly dinner

No comments: