Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Really, how?

How do I stop looking for a significant other? The other day, the Daily Challenge was to name an exercise or sport that one would like to relearn or get back involved with. I said that there was one, but I needed a partner for it. One of my connections, after it became clear that I was suggesting without saying that sex was the form of exercise, suggested that I stop looking for a partner and one would turn out to be right beside me. Right. Beside me. Ha!

So, the other day, I went to Wegman's - big surprise - and as I was walking in, an attractive-to-me woman was walking out. And then suddenly there were lots of them roaming the place. And two of the checkers. There are days like that. Most interesting, though, was seeing a women who was a-t-m walking with a guy who looked to be at least 10 years older if not 20. There is hope. Apparently it springs (not leaps) eternally. Oh, and yesterday, I went to the pharmacy and sighed a little (inwardly).

On another subject entirely, I also ran into two friends out shopping! Hi Charles! Hi Daniel! (That's what I said when I saw them...)

Made eggrolls again last night. Hey, if anyone comes to visit, I will happily make you fresh eggrolls. I am toying with the idea of making the skins from scratch. it looks pretty easy from the great cookbook that my sister Juliet gave me! Sadly, though, I can't find sweet and sour chicken in there. Hmm. That was what I was thinking of cooking tonight. After I get back from Beer Day at the Beautiful Beef and Brew!

Got my last (for now) programming book. Learn Objective-C on the Mac - sadly it is out of date already - it is from 2009!! But so far, I have been able to interpolate from what they show to what xCode 4.2 shows. Yay!

Happy Lump Day by the way!

The lima beans were from a bag because I forgot to buy green beans at the store. :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here you are:
Sweet and Sour Chicken
1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained (juice reserved)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 3/4 cups water, divided
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
2 drops orange food color
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
2 1/4 cups self-rising flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 egg
1 1/2 cups water
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
2 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
In a saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, and orange food coloring. Heat to boiling. Turn off heat. Combine 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup water; slowly stir into saucepan. Continue stirring until mixture thickens.
Combine flour, 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, salt, white pepper, and egg. Add 1 1/2 cups water gradually to make a thick batter. Stir to blend thoroughly. Add chicken pieces, and stir until chicken is well coated.
Heat oil in skillet or wok to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C). Fry chicken pieces in hot oil 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove chicken, and drain on paper towels.
When ready to serve, layer green peppers, pineapple chunks, and cooked chicken pieces on a platter. Pour hot sweet and sour sauce over top.


Tips:
1)The step #2 is for the batter that coats the chicken 2)#1 is seperate, and is for the sweet and sour sauce 3)when you add the corn starch to the sauce with the water, COMBINE the water and corn starch first and THEN put it in so you don't get lumps. 4)The batter looks kinda like pancake batter and it's OK it's supposed to be that way! 5)If you don't have self-rising flower just add 1/2t salt and 1 1/2t baking powder to your flower 6)If you want to save for leftovers DONT pour the sauce over the leftover chickens. Keep them seperate and then pan-fry the chickens when you want them again to maintain the crispy outside.

Augustus said...

Thank you Anonymous - I made Sweet and Sour Pork last night with a recipe from How to Cook Everything (similar to the one generously provided!) and it turned out really well!