Sunday, August 4, 2013

Solving the two cups of coffee conundrum

"I gave you two cups of coffee!" "No, you didn't" "I did." "I did not have two cups of coffee. I only had one cup of coffee." "I brought you two. Do you remember this conversation?" "Yes, vaguely." "So?" "I only had one cup of coffee! I can never win."

This happens most days. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Yesterday, though, I had an epiphany-let. I would bring up a second cup of coffee after she had her first cup. Two actual, physical, different mugs. Yes, more work for me in terms of dishwashing and such, but well worth it to end this fairly useless and pointless and frustrating (for both of us) conversation. It will be tried at lunch. Yippee!

Friday was not a day filled with steps, large or small. It was largely vegetative. Saturday, Guys and Dolls did a large part of their load-in and build at the Smith. I went in for a few hours in the morning just to be there. They had everything under control, so I chose to spend that time working in the Manager's Office. It probably hadn't been neatened in at least a year. Maybe longer. I did not find a lot of treasures, but I did find the surface of a desk and a table. Yay! There is still a bit to do - a closet full of drawings (from a cursory examination) and three containers of random things collected from around the theatre in other cleanings. It actually feels like a place I can sit comfortably now. Not that I expect to sit there too often...I went back and checked on them twice. The first time just to say hello. The second to make sure the place was locked up. It wasn't. Not in a horrendous way, but one of the unlocked side doors had not been re-locked. Not really their fault. Actually neither was, which is why it was not horrendous. The other was a crash door that is notoriously hard to make latch. I fixed them both and toodled home.

After the second visit to the theatre, I went for a beer or two at the Smokehouse. Jenny, the bar manager, is growing on me. Lucy was there, serving now and not bartending. And I saw a woman that I knew from somewhere, sitting at the bar. But I didn't talk with her. She was with someone (I hope her son...). And since I couldn't place her, I didn't want to say "Haven't I seen you somewhere before?" Isn't that a classic pick-up line? Well, I am classic...I just relearned that I am a few months older than President Obama! Eeek!

Wish me luck with the coffee experiment!

No comments: