Monday, August 12, 2013

Media-tastic Day

Yesterday was a media-rich day. The first media event was live theatre! Yay live theatre! Two local theatre groups got together and mounted an ambitious production of Guys and Dolls and presented it at the Smith.  I got mom up and dressed and to the theatre early. (I must was that sweater she wore - eeek!) She managed pretty well, though her clothes wearing skills were a bit iffy - she kept trying to put one arm through the neck whole of her shirt. That didn't work. Anyway, we got there and sat in the seats that I think are best for her. Since we were there really early, we watched the cast wander around and do some warm-ups before the show began. At 2, with an audience of about 250 (which is great, but looked teeny in that space (holds 1400)) the show began.

Overall, I enjoyed the production. The performances though uneven were enjoyable, the music was decently performed, the sets were great and worked well and the lighting wasn't adequate. Of course there were things I would have done differently, I wouldn't think of myself as a director if there weren't. I think mom enjoyed the show as well. Lots of recognizable music in the piece (which I had forgotten).

A funny note: one of my favorite parts of Guys and Dolls is when Nicely Nicely sings "Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat." Mary Flett, I am sure you remember that part. Anyway, I love the music and it has a lot of possibilities for production. Just as the song started, mom needed to go to the bathroom, so I missed most of it. But we made it to the bathroom successfully - which is one of the reasons I picked the seats I picked for her! Yay!

Later, mom and I watched Argo. I thought it was good, not great. Ben Affleck didn't have a lot of dialogue, which helped a lot. That was a scary time for a lot of people - I vaguely remember the whole hostage crisis - but not the bit about the six people being rescued. The main thing I remember was the disastrous attempt to try to mount a rescue and the helicopters malfunctioning or crashing or some such. Anyway, the movie was a little too confusing for mom, but I think she managed to eek out a little bit of enjoyment from it, which is always a good thing.

We have a doctor's appointment this week with Dr. Ryan. Yippee!

No comments: