Thursday, August 15, 2013

Drip, drip, drip

I have a leaky faucet. That is not a euphemism. It is a fact. Actually, I think there are two in the house, though one isn't actually a faucet, it is the sink itself, I believe. Anyway, I took it apart hoping to fix it and failed. Then I decided to replace the unit - and failed. And the drip changed locations - from being down the drain to down into the innards of the house and into the kitchen. Slow, but steady. Sigh. Last night, as I was going to sleep, I had an epiphany-let. Sometimes they come fast and furious, other times, well, this one was a long time coming. I replaced the pieces to the faucet and now the drip is back in the drain. Yay! If only I can find someone to come and replace the faucet for me. Any takers?

Many accomplishments yesterday, not the least of which was getting mom dressed. Luckily, she can still put clothes on by herself. So far. Yay! We did have one mission for which she was required - a visit to the phlebotomist. She has a 6 month check-up on Friday and we were supposed to get a blood test done before the visit. So we went yesterday. Mom still has her humorous moments, asking me if she could stay home and give blood from the house. Tee hee. I do realize that I get the urge to amuse people (especially people in their work spaces) from both sides of my parentage. I didn't get to see my father in action - well, I might have seen him, but not that I remember (since he died when I was 6)(not when he was six, because that would have made me impossible)(or at least very unlikely) but I heard that he enjoyed making people amused. Mom, when she is in a decent mood, also does her best to be charming and amusing when out and about. And yesterday was a good day. The phlebotomist said my mom was lovely and very pleasant. Huzzuh!

I had two more errands and I dragged mom along on those - though she actually walked around without much dragging. Thank goodness for the handicapped parking tag! The first of the two errands was to get my NYS driver's license. Finally! After just over two years of being here, I have finally gotten around to doing it. A year ago at this time, I almost got one. But I needed a social security card, which I couldn't easily put my fingers on. So I got a new one. And then didn't follow through and get the license. But now I am all set! Temporary license is in my wallet - permanent is on its way. Two weeks the guy said. Yippee!

Next stop, Rite-Aid to get some pills for mom. I discovered that my Favorite Pharmacist got the transfer she desired up to Rochester - where she owns a home and lives. Good for her. A little sad for me. Not that I have been going in much in any case. Just a little sigh.

Because mom was along, I decided that we would go for ice cream, despite it being a relatively cool day (high of 67 degrees Fahrenheit). We went to Mr. Twisty's. Mom loves the cappuccino crunch and I got some blue colored raspberry Italian ice. Mine was good, but I could also have not gotten any. In order to avoid the questions from mom, I just got myself some.

And yes, I did get the recycling out. Mom seems unaware of the dwindling pile of New York Review of Books in the dining room. Yippee on both counts!

Selfishly, I wonder, should I live so long, and the disease not be conquered, who will take care of me as I am taking care of mom? And will they be nicer to me than I am to mom? Or will I end up in a refrigerator box (living, sort of, I guess) in some sort of hobo town for poor, old people? Maybe the world (as we know it) will come to an end before then...happy thoughts!

No comments: