Saturday, July 21, 2012

Winner by a TKO

In the second round of the Augustus vs. The Shower Head, I came back swinging - well, after I took some quality time in my corner. First, I got all geared up. I got a couple of vise grip wrenches, a can of the spray stuff (that a very nice older gentleman (yes, even older than I am) led me to) and some CLR (which I didn't end up using). I got back to the house and immediately sprayed the petroleum based PB onto the various threads that I wanted to loosen. I got my vise-grips out and went to work. Before I could count to ten, I felt something give, in a good way. Sure enough, the shower head came off! Yay!

Next step, install the new shower head. Seemed easy enough. I had gotten a new flange thing from Lowes that expanded the smaller tube coming up from the shower handles into the size that is now standard. Onto that I screwed the new shower head. Last step, attaching the hose with the handle. As I was doing this, I noticed that only one end had a washer in it. I looked at the instructions which said three washers were included. I had seen one in the shower head, there was one at one end of the shower tube and that was all I could find.

Off to the hardware stores - the hardcore, hardware stores. First stop, the hardware store in downtown Geneva. The man in there seemed a little surprised that someone actually came into his store. He had a few washers, but nothing that came close to the one I had in my hot little hand. So, on to the next hardware store. There, I was helped by a lovely young woman - together we managed to find a couple of things that might could do in a pinch. Lastly, I went to Lowes, the scene of the crime, so to speak, where I had purchased the replacement shower head. Sadly, they had no good answer for my problem, nothing better than the previous store had had at best. So I returned to the bathroom with slight feelings of trepidation.

I put in one of the o-rings I had purchased and attached the hand held shower part. Now, to see if there were any major problems. I turned the shower on - lo and behold, everything worked! Yay! I won! Next step, cleaning up the mess I had made doing this project. As I was neatening, I found the third washer - replaced it into the hand held tube and tested again - still no leaks. I still think that my trip to the hardware stores was a win. I got to putter around, and met a nice young woman. Yay! (Hope springs eternal!)

See, I can be handy!

And that was the whole day. Pretty much. Well, I made mom lunch, worked on Flippety - yes, I really did work on Flippety - I can't believe it myself, but I did. Made dinner - fish for mom and left overs for me. Lastly, we watched Ed Wood.

I am a fan of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. And overall I enjoyed the movie. I was never a big fan of Ed Wood's movies, so much of it was lost on me. I thought Martin Landau did a great job as Bela Legosi (I thought Martin Landau had died before Ed Wood came out...) (just joking - it is an allusion to the movie...in fact, as I write this, Martin Landau is still alive!). Generally, I would recommend it, but only mildly, unless you are a big fan of all three personalities: Ed Wood, Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. Otherwise, watch Edward Scissorhands again!

Coin rolling - $48.50

The PB stuff

Vise-grips for everyone!

Mom seems to think that she used to frequent Miller's...

The new shower-head - in place!


No comments: