Monday, July 9, 2012

Day Thirty-Two Jeffersonville (OH) to Geneva (NY)

For a last day on the road, it wasn't too bad. Not totally anti-climactic, not over the top, chock-full of excitement. Yay. A moderate day.

It was another tennis day - Federer was playing for his seventh Wimbledon - Murray playing for the first Great Britain win in a lot of years (76 apparently). Mom was rooting for Roger. When I woke up, I checked the TV and found that the match didn't start until 9 am our time - local Eastern Time! And we had to check out at 11 which didn't give mom much time to watch the match. Oh well. (It is odd to me that watch and match don't rhyme...) We did get to see the only set that Andy Murray won. And it was 4-4 in the second set as we headed out the door.

The last time packing the car made me happy. Lugging all that stuff and fitting it into the trunk and the back seat, though relatively easy, was still a bit of a pain. And we missed breakfast. In the recap, I will talk about the whole trip. When will the recap happen? Probably in tomorrow's post or a bonus post. We shall see. Into the car and over the bridge, we headed off on the last day of driving, with almost no plan in mind. The only thing I was thinking was that it would be good to stop around lunch time so mom could watch more of the tennis and we could have a good break.

Turned out to be a day dominated by rest area stops. At the first one I checked the tennis score and tried to find an interesting place for lunch. There was no wifi that I could detect. Poop. But my 3g was fast enough. The tennis match was now tied one set a piece and the third set was tied at one game all and was suspended! Great, I thought, we can still drive for a good while and mom will still be able to watch more tennis. I picked an interesting sounding place located in Strongsville, Ohio, called The Brew Kettle.

The Brew Kettle stop took us a little out of our way - not too terribly - just more closely to Cleveland than the GPS had wanted us to go. It took me a little zipping around to get us into the correct parking lot. And there were a lot of people already there! On a Sunday! Wait, we were going there on a Sunday...We got a table immediately and asked Taylor, the hostess to put tennis on the television. It happened just in time to see Federer walking off the court with this trophy! Glarp! Poor mom. For the next few hours, all she could ask was if they ever re-showed tennis matches. Well, at least she got to see that he had won.

I had some beer and ate a little of the fish and chips that I ordered for mom. All was good - more on the brewpub blog (eventually).

We stopped several times in the next few hours. Twice for potty breaks, once for gas. Mostly, we just drove. And drove. Not that it was that far, in the greater scope of things. At times, though, it did feel like Geneva was receding instead of getting closer. But we did eventually get there. I emptied the car and opened up the house - it was a bit stuffy after being basically empty for a month. Made mom her leftovers from lunch for her dinner, and found a can of yummy chef boyardee lasagna in the pantry for me. Together we watched Masterpiece Mystery. Then bed. Yay!

In the next few days, I will be catching up and doing all the things that I have on my to do list. It will make for an exciting life and riveting blog posts, I am sure! One of the things on my to do list is to put a lot more pictures from the trip up on facebook. Someday.

First Rest stop in Ohio

Our lunch location

A rest stop in NY that still has a pedestrian bridge

Arrival Documentation

No comments: