Thursday, July 26, 2012

Safely Over Whelmed

Last night, just before midnight, the hordes descended. It took a while to get everyone settled in their various sleeping situations, but it did happen. Eventually. And unfortunately, today, of all days, I have an early morning appointment. Yay.

Yesterday was laundry day! Yippee! Clean-ish stuff for everyone! I had been looking forward to doing laundry by myself, running a couple other little errands and basically having some me time. But it wasn't to be. Mom wanted to help the entire day. Joy. I think it is wonderful that she is showing interest in helping. But like a child, her help is often less helpful than if she would just let me do it and get it over with.

It started with her wanting to help vacuum. She has been pestering me for days about vacuuming. So I set her up to vacuum. But she couldn't find the receptacle. So I found showed her the receptacle. Then she couldn't plug it is, so I plugged it in. Then the cord had a knot in it. So I unplugged the cord. But she couldn't manage to undo the knot, so I undid the knot. Finally, she vacuumed while I continued to do what I needed to do. Then she called because she couldn't get the vacuum down (hard to explain - but an easy fix). Am I complaining? Sort of. I could use a vacation. A real vacation. Two weeks being pampered in a luxury resort. Or even two weeks alone in the house. It could happen.

Meanwhile, I vacuumed my room - even moving furniture - that's right, Mr. Muscles Moved Mucho! And made the bed in the red room. And got the laundry together - only to find that mom wanted to go with me. So that was exciting. Mom folded a bit. At one point she lifted a bath towel and said - this is too big for me to fold. Sigh. She did great with the socks and underwear...

There is still a new place moving into the mall, but they are moving in really, reallllly slowly. I haven't a clue what it is going to be. Big excitement in Geneva!

After our hard day getting ready for the onslaught, I opted to not cook and to take mom to her favorite dining local - Friendly's. I find the place to be hit or miss - last night was a miss. Our server was slow and inattentive, my fries came out cold despite being double dipped and I never was asked how my food was or if I wanted a refill. Oh, I take that back, she asked me if I wanted more tea - I had half coke/half orange soda in my glass. Sigh. Mom had fun though, which in the long run made it ok.

We watched My Fair Lady on DVD last night. I thought Audrey Hepburn was ok - sad that she didn't sing her own songs. Overall enjoyable. And it does give me hope for a December/May romance! :)

A clean room (will last until noon on Friday)

Mom gayly feeding quarters into the washing machine

Candace, Jenna and Mom

Karl and Jenna

Jenna and Mom

Jacob

Mom and Skyelyn


No comments: