Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Almost Karlmegeddon

Yes, it is almost upon us, the visit of the year - Karl and Candace and Skyelyn and Jacob and Jenna are descending upon this poor, suspecting, quiet household! Eeeek! Run for the hills! Hide the silver!

Seriously, it isn't a big deal. It is more of an issue for Karl & Co. than it is for us. The kids are still young enough that they may be a handful, but they are, over all, manageable. Karl has to contend with two longish drives in three days - or more like 36 hours. Personally, I think he is a little crazy, but he wants to do it, so he is coming. Tonight. Late. Which still gives me time to get the house even readier than it is already.

Yesterday and last night I spent some time working on the house. The rooms I most wanted to get done are the room Karl and Candace will be sleeping in (the room I use as my bedroom). I am glad that they are going to use this room (where I am typing right now). This way I get to clean it up, sort and organize a little bit. Yay! Mostly done - I just need to toss a few things in the closet, remake the bed and vacuum. All tasks for a little later in the day.

The other room I wanted to finish yesterday was a neatening and reconfiguring of the dining room. It has been a long time since the dining room was used for dining (except for breakfast for Sam and Lewis when they were here). And even longer since it was really cleaned. It had become the repository of boxes to be sorted - leaving the living room mostly clear of boxes. If I were stronger and braver I might have taken all of the boxes down to the basement room. But I wasn't and am not, so I opted to move them to behind the yellow sofa in the living room. Yes, back into the living room, but in a less prominent position. And there weren't as many as I had thought. Maybe 20. That is good news to me. Though mom seemed surprised that there were so many. She sat on the sofa and asked if she should be helping. And where they all came from. I didn't really have an answer to either of her questions after the fifth iteration of each.

After the boxes were all out (leaving the stacks of over 200 New York Review of Books) I took out all the chairs and put an extra leaf in the dining room table. Mom got her act together and did a good job polishing it. I cleaned off all the chairs and the legs of the table and vacuumed the room. It is looking pretty spiffy (and will do so for at least three days after Karl & Co. leave). Yay!

One more task for the evening - getting all of the stuff that had been accumulating in the room at the head of the stairs up into the attic. Eeek, the attic! Spiders and bugs and who the heck knows what all else. I really want someone to come help declutter the house. Maybe when I am rich. Someone without ulterior motives would be nice. An impartial, third party. It may happen eventually. So, it got up there, but I wasn't thrilled about doing it on lots of levels.

Oh, at some point, I also wandered downtown to Red Dove for a delicious Slyfox O'Reilly's Irish stout. Chatted a bit with Abby and the servers there, though they were sort of busy. Saw Elena and Jim, which is always pleasant. And then wandered home, stopping at Microclimate - not because they were open, but because James was there having a meeting of some kind! Yay!

Oh, I did do a dating post - not so rant-like. I just can't bring myself to rant...

Boxes out of sight, mostly

Dining room more better

A view of the lake

Pretty

No comments: