Friday, July 6, 2012

Day Twenty-Nine - Austin (TX) to Texarkana (AR)

The end is nigh! It is just around the corner. Just a few more days. Can you tell that I am ready to get home and off the road? Yes, yes I am. And no, no I am not. I do so love to travel. Oh well. Time passes.

We got up and got out and hit the road. It was a solid three hours from Austin to Addison, TX. We ought to have stopped at the Meddlesome Moth instead of the Addison Flying Saucer. But having had two less than optimal experiences at the Addison Saucer, I wanted to give them another chance. Hoping that something would lift my experiences there from the not so good to the enjoyable. Sadly, it was only minimally better than my other two experiences.

This time, I tried the Saucer at lunch, rather than at a busy evening time. Again it took a little while before a server came and greeted us. Dana, though, turned out to be the one redeeming factor in the day. She was personable and interesting. And once she did take our order, was very attentive. I saw the manager a few times, and she said hello to everyone in the bar except for me and my mom. The food was typical Saucer food - good and tasty. I don't know that I will give the Addison Saucer another chance. Three is good.

Next stop, The Lake Saucer. It was only half an hour from the Addison Saucer. I could have done three in one day, adding Fort Worth. But I didn't. I can only put mom through so much...The Lake was pretty enjoyable. I just like the space. I saw a Beerknurd I had met there before, and he had no clue who I was. Oh well. Two beers, one of which was pretty good - Peticolas Velvet Hammer an imperial Amber. Yippee!

The drive to Arkansas was not long or arduous. We opted for a Quality Inn this time. The room we were given was not quite ready yet from a housekeeping perspective. I even put some pillowcases on some pillows. The room was a handicap accessible room - complete with a shower seat. Mom, who had actually complained that her hair was feeling stringy, volunteered to take a shower. Yay!

I asked the front desk clerk about non-chain restaurants in the area, and he was not very encouraging. It did look like chain heaven right around here. But I persevered and found a place called Ironwood Grill which looked appealing. It wasn't very far, and we were given a table right away. The chairs were heavy - really heavy. The table was heavy. Even the water glasses were heavy. All made of iron! Ok, no, they weren't, but they were heavy! As has become the norm, I just ordered - an Asian appetizer of Thai spring rolls and some fried shrimp. Both delicious! Then mom and I shared a few ahi tuna tacos which were tasty as well! Our server, though new, was great!

After we got back from dinner, mom decided to take her shower. I helped way more than I would have liked, but together we got her clean. Yippee! I was sort of exhausted, so it was lights out and nighty-night!

Addison Flying Saucer

The Lake Flying Saucer

Our unfinished room

Mom and me and our dinner at the Ironwood Grill

2 comments:

naturegirl said...

I do believe we are getting more smiles. Nice pics ...

Augustus said...

I think mom is excited to be getting closer to home! :)