Monday, July 23, 2012

An Opera Day

Not a day at the opera - that is something else entirely. This was a day where a good portion of it was used doing opera focused activities. To start, was a stumble-through of the entire show. I don't mean to impugn the performers - it is just a common name for the first rehearsal where most of the blocking/staging has been roughed in. Getting the whole thing on its feet and seeing how it flows from beginning to end. There are almost always places where things are rough and the actors might have problems. But the principals are all trained professionals and did well. All in all, the rehearsal went pretty smoothly. Al, the director, had me and the lighting designer in to watch and take notes.

Next, a trip to Houghton House to transfer props and unload some furniture. While there, I ran into Elena who was clearing out her office in preparation for eventual retirement from the Colleges. She said she was letting go of a lot of books, so I helped myself to four. Being a book-a-holic, I could have taken a lot more, but I managed to show some restraint. Go me!

Lastly, there was a "picnic" put on by the cast. Before I could attend, I made dinner for mom. She didn't really think it would be a fun experience for her. So I whipped together breakfast for dinner for her: scrambled eggs (with bacon, onion, broccoli and mushrooms) and a piece of corn on the cob. Ok, I admit, I had a piece of corn and the leftover eggs before I headed out to the picnic.

The bbq was a whopping five minute walk from my house. I love Geneva! The singers are staying in a college dorm that I think used to be a Fraternity House. It is one of the big, imposing, beautiful houses on South Main street, overlooking the lake. I don't really know many of the cast or crew that well, having only worked with some of them for a little bit last year. But they were all very nice. I chatted with most everyone I think. At least a little. The food was great. I helped by boiling some corn. The corn was actually softer that way - so I might have to try making some like that at home. Some people played games - cards and frisbee mostly. I sat and wandered around a bit. At the very end of the evening, some of us talked politics. My idea of national service and not letting anyone under 21 be deployed into a combat situation seemed to go over ok. Making drugs and prostitution (amongst other things) legal met with a little push back. A world without money didn't go over so well. I didn't tell them I was planning to run for president in 2024, so I don't know if any of them will vote for me (if I make it onto any ballots...).

So, an opera-full day! Yay! Oh and at night, we had a good rain storm. Yippee, even!

By the way, I posted another brewpub blogpost

And I had an idea for a dating website...still thinking about it...

Guests gather

Frisbee and the view!

The picnic table moved to escape the rain

I was hiding

People chatting

And eating

And more chatting and eating...

Some dinner and a Dundee Stout - not too shabby a beer

Fruit!


No comments: