Friday, July 27, 2012

The storm recedes

Or at least it is supposed to. My brother and entourage are working to depart by 10 am. Oops, it is 10:10 as I start this blog. Not too bad, really.

We have been having some rain here in beautiful Geneva, NY. Yippee for rain! We certainly need it. Though I would be happy to ship it to anywhere that has a worse drought than we do. I don't believe in hording. Well, not a lot, at least.

You know how some days just feel like other days? Today feels like a Saturday so far. I wonder how that happens. Our brains are weird and whacky things.

Yesterday was my first day doing actual Stage Managing and Production Managing sorts of duties for the Opera. It didn't go too badly. The goal was to move the piano (a Steinway, Grand Piano) off the stage and into the pit. There was a professional piano mover who guided the whole process and it went off without a hitch. I don't think anyone hurt themselves and the piano seemed unscathed. Yippee! I was first in the building and last out of the building, as any self respecting Stage Manager ought to be. But it was an early start and an enervating enterprise.

As I drove up to the house, my brother was getting mom into his van. They were going on a lunch adventure to Wagner's across the lake. Asked if I would like to come along, I politely declined, looking forward to a couple of hours of blessed solitude. Inside my mind I was doing a fairly energetic Snoopy style happy dance! I tried not to let it show...

So I had a pretty blissful next four hours or so. I guess they had a long lunch! I showered, worked a lot on Flippety, did my blog and generally relished the silence.

The party did eventually return to the house. Candace went food shopping in preparation for cooking dinner. Mom and Karl and the kids, I don't really know what they did besides run around a lot. Karl and I did manage to find time to talk about mom, money, the house, the future and all that fun stuff. I suggested that they come to Geneva for Thanksgiving and they are taking it under advisement. Which probably means "no" but only time will tell...

Candace cooked a tasty dinner indeed! A lot more veggies than I prepare generally. I didn't really observe how much of what mom ate, but she seemed to enjoy it over all as well.

After dinner, and a little cleaning up on my part, I opted to escape to Microclimate for my Thursday night out. Stephanie and her husband Ramone were on duty. We had a long chat about beer and did a triangle taste test because I thought the Cream Porter I had wasn't quite right in taste. Turns out my taste buds were not as cute (or acute) as I thought. Which is one reason I don't plan on ever being a Cicerone...But I did get some Peche Lambic out of the deal! :)

Does anyone remember the song Ironic by Alannis Morrisette? Well, a part of one of the verses happened to me (in essence and gender switched, but still). And who knows if someone you meet once in passing briefly is really "all that?" First impressions are good and everything, but the proof is in the pudding (whatever the heck that means). And in this case, it doesn't really matter since the person in question is in a relationship of some pith. Oh well. Onward.

The room I normally sleep in transformed

Candace cooking

Karl Kutting

Skyelyn, Candace, Jacob, Karl and Mom at dinner

Yum! And a salad too!



No comments: