Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day Thirty-One Germantown (TN) to Jeffersonville (OH)

I generally like to plan where we are stopping for a night. I like the sense of comfort that I get from having a plan. I don't have to think as much. And if things don't work out, my brain is free to re-think and re-adjust. I just like to plan in general. That didn't happen yesterday. When it doesn't happen, I feel just a little out of whack...

The day was sort of a no-brainer, though. We had to go through Nashville - for two reasons - one, for a last Flying Saucer visit and two, because that was the point at which I needed to make a decision whether to continue on to Knoxville or turn North and head towards Geneva on a more direct/time saving route. My decision was being based on how I was feeling and on whether or not I heard from a daily challenge connection. I sent her a few messages the day before and hoped to hear from her before I left Nashville. That was all the planning I did. Sigh.

We woke up pretty early and turned on the television in hopes of tennis. And lo and behold, there was tennis. Serena Williams versus yet another eastern block woman. It really seems like there are the Williams sisters and then about 800 former eastern block country females playing professional tennis. Not really sure what that is about. Anyway, it was fun to watch (not that I focused on it - I was busy writing my blog and checking my messages). Serena won, by the way.

Getting packed up and ready to go took no time and with the help of a luggage cart (where was the bellhop, may I ask?) it was easy to get all of the stuff down to the car in one trip. Goodness we had a lot of stuff. Good thing we were driving!

Into the car for the first leg of the trip. Nothing too exciting happened that I can recall. Oh, I did have an epiphany: Mom and I are not compatible roommates. Housemates, sort of, but roommates, not so much. She likes to sleep with a light on, I prefer it darker. She and I don't have the same tolerance for temperature - she generally likes it cooler to sleep, I don't care, but I think I prefer it warmer. Her breathing machine is noisy (though it does make her snoring a non-issue) and I do like to sleep quiet whenever possible.

I also thought more about a world without money. I think it would be doable. Somehow. As long as we don't believe in scarcity (based in fear). Ha! Oh, and on the flip side, I spent a lot of time thinking about how I would spend my lottery winnings! Yes, I bought a mega millions ticket. And I noticed while driving that someone had one. I haven't found my ticket yet - but like Schrödinger's cat, anything is possible until I open the box. (Sorry cat...)  What would you do if you won the lottery and suddenly had $25 Million to use? I'll share my thoughts (and maybe some money) if you share yours. It will probably be a blog post of its own one day...

Suddenly we were in Nashville! How did that happen? Oh, right, lots of driving. The Nashville Saucer was right where I had last seen it. That is good. Oh, I forgot to mention that one of the managers mentioned that the Fort Worth Saucer was being forced to leave its building and move to another location. That will be weird - and might warrant another visit. I really liked the old location.

Speaking of which, I think my obsession with the Saucer might have finally played out. Perhaps I am getting too old. Or perhaps, as the way of all things, this too has come to an end. Partly it feels like Shannon has sold out. He keeps adding stores that are in tame locations - shopping malls mostly. And not in cool locations - like old buildings and warehouses and such. Gone is the greeting - "Sit any Damn place you want" - replaced with "Please sit anywhere you want." The information that "Beer - 2000 years of helping ugly people have sex" has been replaced with "Friends don't let friends fly drunk." Perhaps it is Shannon who is getting old. And I just don't feel as happy and fuzzy as I have in the past in Flying Saucers. We shall see of course, but I think I am over it. I will keep going until I finish my 20th plate. And if the stars align correctly, I will go on a Diary of a Plate Addict book signing tour one day. But for now, I just can't get excited about the whole notion of the Flying Saucer. Huzzuh?

The service was ok, the food was ok, I had two ok beers. The high point was speaking with three Norwegian women who were traveling around some of the US. Yippee!

After lunch, I decided to turn north. And to pick a place to stop when I felt like it. Sadly, this made mom a little uneasy. I originally thought I wanted to stop in Ohio. I didn't understand the geography of the area. Kentucky doesn't stop until Cincinnati! Oops. So I decided to just stop somewhere before Cincinnati. When I did first stop, I found that the hotels had jumped up in price from $50 to $100. Mom was in favor of just paying the money and stopping for the night. But I just didn't feel it. So on we went - stopping at a rest stop after getting through Cincinnati to get a coupon book for Ohio. And it looked like there was no good stopping point until just before Columbus. The mantra I kept repeating to mom was - the more we drive now, the less we drive tomorrow! And finally, beautiful Jefforsonville, OH appeared. Yay! An Econolodge beckoned and we stopped for the night. It was late and we were tired, so we supped on Wendy's food in our room. And sleep was upon us!

One more day done, one more day to go!

Huzzuh for luggage carts

Nashville Saucer

I love the Ohio logo on the Welcome Center

Dinner - yum!

2 comments:

Bosey said...

Are you too far north of us now to make a stop here? Kit and his Japanese wife leave tomorrow and I would love to see you!
Bosey

Augustus said...

We are already back in Geneva, Bosey! I hope you had a great visit with Kit and his wife!