Monday, April 30, 2012

I learned a new phrase today

I learned a new phrase today - "cargo programming" - it is when a "programmer" (like me) copies and pastes a lot of things and crosses one's fingers in hopes that the magic will work and produce the hoped for results without really understanding why things are working (or not) they way they are (or aren't). Ooops. Yes, I have a long way to go before I will be able to consider myself a programmer. I am at a loss as to how to proceed. My project, though limping along towards some semblance of functionality, turns out to be a mish-mash, a lot closer to total meltdown all the time than it really ought to be. Part of me says to scrap what I have and to start from scratch and see what happens. Part of me says to keep going with what I have cludged together and get a working(ish) version before going back and building it from scratch with the knowledge gained from the cludging. I am too overwhelmed at the moment to make any decisions. Glarg. I am leaning towards biting the bullet now and restarting from scratch. Maybe eliminating some of the problems I am having along the way. (Ok, can't face that just now. Going to proceed with what I have and will, eventually, go back and redo the entire app.)

Yesterday, not much in the way of exciting happened. Mom was feeling particularly uninterested in moving. I offered a movie, but she did not rise to the occasion. I did some work on the computer application and puttered around the house and the internet. Eventually a yummy dinner was concocted out of leftovers from our Stonecat Cafe dinner (well, the leftovers that I didn't finish that evening). And then it was early to bed for everyone. I didn't go to game night. I just didn't feel like going. Hopefully, next time...

Soon it will be Mother's Day and my mom's birthday, not the same day this year. I already have two presents for her. I am thinking to also get another helium balloon (or the same one refilled), some cut flowers and maybe something else. I might just skip Mother's day, though...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Augustus!...upon reading your blog...what part of upstate New York are you from. I am a native transplant from up there (Buffalo area) whose been living in the south (Texas, Arkansas states) for over 30 years.

Augustus said...

Hi Anonymous! I live in Geneva NY - about two hours East of Buffalo - I was born here, have had the good fortune to live in a few other places (including NC and TX). Thank you for your note! Ask me anything! :)