Saturday, April 28, 2012

Adventure Accomplished!

I did, though, neglect to have pictures taken of mom and me adventuring together. Sigh. Next time. I am a little out of practice adventuring...

As promised, I did little or nothing yesterday. Except for the adventure. Yay adventure! We went all the way to the other side of Seneca Lake! I know! Into the hinterlands! Our first stop was Wagner's Winery and Brewery. Mom wanted to stay in the car. What kind of adventure would that be? She thought that maybe next time she would take a book. Not a bad idea. I often take a book with me when I am out adventuring. 'Cause if no one is being interesting, I do like to entertain myself. Wagner's was not very crowded, unlike the last time we were there. We even got one of the handicapped spots right near that door. Nary a walking complaint from mom. One from me when mom kept trying to walk three paces behind me. Glarg. Anyway, they had a beer tasting for $3 - a bit pricey for the skimpy pours - and an additional $.50 for a tasting of their seventh offering - a triplebock version of their dopplebock Sled Dog. All of their beers were a little thin - even the oatmeal stout and the Maple Porter. I expected more body. And the people serving the beer were all under 21, so they weren't really very knowledgeable - just spouting what they have learned. Still, glad I went. I almost bought a flip top growler, but couldn't think of a beer I wanted to put in it...

Next stop, Two Goats. We had been once before. New bartender this time, Mary. And nice people to chat with at the bar. I forgot to mention that at Wagner's I met a couple up from PA to visit the area. Well, at the bar in Two Goats, couples on either side of us were also from PA, so I introduced them to each other. Everyone (well, almost everyone) in the group liked beer so there was lots to talk about. We also talked about food - I recommended Leaf Kitchen and Red Dove for dinner for one couple, the other couple was also heading to Stonecat for dinner. After the first couple let, mom started to get disgruntled because she had no one to talk to. Heaven forbid she actually talk to someone without me having to start off the conversation for her. Sigh. We ended up staying for two beers - their oatmeal stout was outstanding. And I had a headbutt for my second - their cream ale mixed with the oatmeal stout. Yay!

Last stop, Stonecat. If Stonecat were closer, I might go there just to hang out at the bar. Nice ambiance, nice people, but it is almost an hour away and their beer selection just isn't all that exciting. Oh well - still looking for the perfect hangout. Nothing, though, will ever replace my own table at the Raleigh Flying Saucer! Sorry for the digression...We had a lovely server named Dawn. The space was again a little bright soundwise - no rugs on the floor or anything much to dampen the sound. The menu was not large, which is fine by me. There was a mussels special for the appetizer. Mom only ate 2 for every 1 I ate this time. I was much faster! :) Then she had catfish, which at first she was reluctant to try, and I had bovine flesh, as Dawn so accurately described it. Mom ate all of hers pretty handily. I ate about half of mine. It was good, not great. Their could have been a lot more garlic in the meal for my tastes. Still, overall, a very pleasant dining experience at Stonecat.

We toodled home and our day of adventure was basically at an end! Yay adventures!

Beer tasting mat at Wagner's

Cool new tap handles at Two Goats!

I like this!

Nice people from PA

Yay mussels!

Mom's catfish dinner

My bovine flesh dinner

Upstate (or Central NY, actually) can be so lovely!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your adventure sounds great. Love meeting and talking w/new people. Your photos are wonderful too. I also like the stonecat's fish mosaic. I'm partial to fish as I am a Pisces. I don't like beer! Have a happy Sunday. Camille

Augustus said...

It was fun to be out and about, all things considered, Camille!