Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hedda Gabler

Last night mom and I went to the HWS production of Hedda Gabler. It was a dress rehearsal and the cast did admirably. And the translation and adaptation was much better than the one that I was in 30 years ago. Yes, 30 years ago - same weekend in fact. Weird. I played George Tessman in that production - back then I was envious of the person who played Eilert Lovborg without realizing that I had the larger part. God, looking back, I did so poorly. I coasted through it and did it on guts and passion and not on hard work. Sigh. Oh well. It is over (except for the replays in my mind...). Anyway, last night's production was enjoyable, overall. I dragged mom to it. The half a block walk got her all upset - I really think she might be becoming agoraphobic. Sad and weird. But I think she enjoyed it too.

Stopped in quickly at Rite-Aid to get some medicine for mom and my favorite pharmacist helped me out. Sigh.

We also went to Ling Ling for takeout. My plan was to stuff two containers full of food and thus have enough for a couple of meals for each of us. Sadly, mom snarfed all of her food - despite me asking three times if she wanted to save some for another meal. I don't begrudge her the food. I really don't. She is 81 and still has a healthy, though slightly obsessive, appetite. And that is better than the alternative. Oh well, plans are just that and nothing more. Nothing to be attached to. And it turns out that Kelly (American Name) is moving to NYC. Good for her. For those of you who don't know, Kelly was the woman who asked me to help her with her English and never followed up after our first get together. Her loss.

I love pictures of clouds...

Ling Ling in all its glory!

4 comments:

scott whitham said...

Great gods, was that 30 years ago? You did a splendid job as I recall!

Augustus said...

Didn't feel like it to me. Felt like I was getting away with something. Thank you, though!

camille titone said...

Good morning A ... enjoyable read ... especially about your mom ... i live w/my mom who is 90 ... i have the downstairs apt in the house, yet find myself in her upstairs (bright light) place all the time as she needs help (a lot). I have spoiled her too much and she asks me to do just about everything. I mostly don't mind but when trying to accomplish my own things the interruptions are much.

Also, great that you are/were interested in theatre ... in hunter college i majored in dance & theatre both ... hey, another commonality ... look forward to each future post now that i am following ............camille

Augustus said...

Yay theatre, Camille! And I understand about your mom and helping her out...