Thursday, April 19, 2012

No adventure

We didn't adventure yesterday. Oh well. Life is that way sometimes. I did, though, adventure a little vicariously through one of my favorite checkers at Wegman's. She and her family went to Jamaica for a week. Yay! I have never been to Jamaica. Not much of a beach/island sort of guy. Not that I wouldn't go if the opportunity arose. Nor that I would enjoy myself while there. Just not top of my list. Top is still Brazil or anyplace in South America. It will happen eventually.

Last night, I had a thought on how to do something in the computer program I am working on. I thought of creating an object to get the background image - see, object oriented thinking. It occurred to me that would be the best way since I wanted to set the image in two different places. I had thought I understood how objects worked - or at least had a glimmering, an inkling. This morning, that is what I have been working on. So far so good. When I get this working consistently, I will turn my attention to sounds. Then I need to back to persistence. And once all of those things are done, I will try and figure out why some of the things are happening that I don't understand, and try to get them fixed. There are way too many of those - the persistent views thing, the lack of flipping sometimes, the animations that don't get executed. Sigh. Onward to sounds.

My brother had a wonderful idea - make a memory book for mom - he wants me to help mom go through the pictures in the house (thousands of them) and have her label the people in them. Right. That is going to happen. I suggested that this be a project for when he came to visit - if he comes to visit. It has been awhile since he came...How about if everyone from the family sends Karl scanned pictures of themselves and their closest? That would be a start. Karl? Oh, right, he doesn't read this...

I started The Passage at my nephew Erich's suggestion. So far, so good. And I am listening to a Terry Pratchett Audio book - it is in the discworld world. I just wish that the book was broken up into smaller sections on the disk. What I mean is, instead of in chapters only, many audio books put markers at other points so that it is easier to jump to near where one was last listening if one happens to take the disk out for some reason, like to clean it (which is often necessary, especially with library disks).

Tonight is baby artichokes night! Yippee! Not sure how I am preparing them, but they will be prepared. Huzzah!

All ready to read

Wish me luck!

Everything but the chicken was good





2 comments:

naturegirl said...

As always you surprise me ! South America.. would put your spanish to use, would recommend a conversation class first :) Can't wait to see/read the final application project. Finally, how Did you prepare the baby artichokes.. they are my favorites .. Hugs B

Augustus said...

Yay for surprises, right?! I roasted them - turned out pretty well - I need to take more leaves off next time...