Sunday, January 11, 2015

Successful Failures?

Experiments need to happen occasionally. Lunch has been pretty straightforward here for at least a year - maybe two: whole wheat bread with salami, jarlsberg cheese and lettuce, some orange glop (sweet potato) and a piece of fruit. Yesterday, I tried something completely different. And it did not work well. First, I hadn't made a grilled cheese sandwich in forever. So I over cooked one side. Mom kept saying "What is this burned thing? I'm supposed to eat this?" She managed to choke it down eventually. Personally, I ate the crusts and thought it was delicious. Whatever. Next was the soup. I thought mom would like some nice soup. I had a can of Wegman's Chicken Noodle soup - I know it isn't mom's favorite, but I thought soup was soup and was uniformly not too bad. Well this soup was "Disgusting! It's slimy!" So I had to make two or three trips to replenish her orange glop. Sigh. Maybe if I try it again, I won't overcook her sandwich and will feed her new England clam chowder - which I know she likes.

My ear was starting to feel full, so I used some H2O2 - only to have it feel even fuller. Sigh. We shall see what the rest of the day brings.

It was a nice, relaxing day, yesterday - except for about an hour of Smith emailing and such. Yay. I tried to get mom to watch a Hitchcock movie (The Man Who Knew Too Much) that she had purchased at some point - but she couldn't follow it. So I put on Doc Martin for her. And I watched The Wolverine. I enjoyed my movie. She didn't enjoy hers. After that I put on Top Hat for her - which she only really used as an excuse to stay up later (which is fine) which gives her an excuse to eat ice cream and cookies (which isn't as fine - I think all that sugar can't be good for her - but at 84...)

Dinner was, as predicted yesterday, mostly leftovers - with yummy roasted brussel sprouts and some new mashed potatoes - mixed with the used mash potatoes from some other day. Mom got left over salmon. I had left over pork. Yay dinner! All in all a nice day. Oh, and I worked on the puzzle a bit.

Day Five - I am using the bottom of the puzzle to work on other parts of the puzzle (click on the pic to enlarge)

No comments: