Friday, January 30, 2015

Sayings for all occasions

I love language. Well, most of you probably already knew that. In this post we are going to look at a couple of sayings and see which trumps which.

The first is "Hope Springs Eternal!"

The second is "Flogging a dead horse."

So which is it? Does one keep hoping that by flogging a dead horse our desired (or hoped for) outcome will actually occur? Or do we stop hoping for what we were flogging a dead horse for and start hoping for something else? I would have to guess the latter. Hope isn't about one thing, it is more of a general thing - along the lines of "X is like buses (which is probably no longer true in most places since most places don't have a robust public transportation system) - wait a minute and another one will come along" or "There are plenty of fish in the sea" unless the human race continues to destroy them...Gee, these are depressing. Better get back to hoping...

A couple weeks ago I was optimistic that I had found someone who was going to be a major part of my life. I thought that they were going to be helpful and supportive of me while I would be helpful and supportive of them. Unfortunately this is turning out not to be the case. So I think I will stop with the flogging already and change the focus of my eternally springing hope. Life is that way sometimes.

Does anyone know anyone who I might ask to help me with cleaning up and organizing the house? Someone did offer to watch mom sometime if I wanted to go out. Actually two people have offered - though neither of them has really followed through. But the offers are nice.

I think I will start another puzzle today since I have my exciting new puzzle mat thing.

No comments: