Monday, January 26, 2015

Scary

Last night, I was feeling a bit exhausted for some reason or other. So I got mom upstairs and put Sound of Music on the tv for her. Earlier I had gone to Walmart (ewww) to look for pull up diaper type undies for her - they didn't have a great selection so I will have to try Rite Aid and see what they have - though they are considerably more expensive - and while there, I decided to look at Blu-ray players for mom's room. Found them, eventually, picked one and set it up when I came home. Anyway, I then went to bed and to sleep - figuring that I would wake up (or be woken up) at some point by mom and would turn off the player and the tv at that point. Sure enough, mom woke me up and wanted to go downstairs - at 2 in the morning. I was not amused. And that scared me. Just how unamused I was. I know I could have answered in more loving and reasonable terms - or just let her go down stairs - there are boodles of reasons why her going downstairs at 2 in the morning was not a good option for anyone concerned - but I didn't. Eventually I got the real reason out of her for why she wanted to go downstairs - she wanted more food. Not a big surprise. Got her to agree not to go downstairs and to go to bed. Got her cold water and some fiber bars and tried to go to sleep myself, which I eventually did, I guess. Since I eventually woke up again (to find her "reading" in the orange room/room at the head of the stairs). Sigh.

That was part of my exciting weekend. Woo hoo! The good thing is, I didn't have to go into the Smith  on Sunday (though I did help one of my projectionists with an issue over the phone). Not quite a day off - but less time spent Smithing than I did most days last week.

I love that I live in the "snow belt" and we are getting maybe 3 inches of snow in the next big storm, while people south of us are getting feet of snow! Yay! Then again, boo. I haven't gotten to use my snowblower too much this year. But I will probably go out and use it at some point tonight.

My hair has been shedding in the shower a lot - no, not getting bald, thank you very much mom - which is normal. Sadly, the drain had gotten very clogged. I tried to plunge it, to no avail. I tried using a little cheap snake I had gotten (it actually wasn't all that cheap) which didn't work effectively (probably user error) and thought a lot of "free flowing drain" thoughts - which also didn't miraculously clear up the clog. So, at Walmart (ick) I went to the plumbing area and looked for a more professional snake - found one but it was designed for toilets and I wasn't sure if it would fit through the metal thingies (technical term) in the drain so I opted not to purchase it. There was, though, in a big red bottle, a drain cleaning product called "Hair Clog Remover." Hmm, I wonder what it does...so I bought it and brought it home and followed the instructions and just now ran some water in the tub and it drained immediately! Huzzuh!! Hairless! (The drain, I mean)

TIAA - mom's retirement company - just sent her a note saying, amongst other things, that they think her life expectancy is 99 years old! Eeek! I should live so long.

No comments: