Saturday, June 15, 2013

What do you do?

Or some variation on that theme is a question asked by many people of many people. Maybe they are being polite. Or maybe they are interested in just getting some information. But what the heck does it matter? "What do you do?" The question is asking, it seems to me in my defensiveness, how do you justify your existence in this financially focused world in which we find ourselves. Well screw that! Life isn't about what you do! It is how you live your life. What do you do? I live, breathe, read, write, play, ponder and none of that has anything to do with earning money. Life isn't about money. Ask the worms or the fire that consumes your flesh after you die. How much money are you taking with you when you die? How much happier were you that you worked at a job that, ultimately, was pretty pointless and meaningless? I have worked quite a few of those myself - and will probably work at more of those as I grow older. Right now, I don't really have the time for a "job." My job is to make sure that my mom has a decent quality of life in her waning days. Isn't that enough for anyone to be "doing?"

Maybe a better question would be - what are your creative outlets? Or do you define yourself as a human being and if so, how? Though, I, for one, tend to not define myself if I can help it. Definition smacks of judgement to me - and since I try to be accepting, this sort of sits wrong for me.

Interesting study I read about on Facebook - so it must be true - researchers found that just thinking about money makes people jerks. Which is why when I see someone write that they are looking for someone who is "independent" or "financially stable" on their profiles, I immediately click off of them. And if possible hide them.

On a completely other note, mom and I came to the same realization at about the same time - that she could easily take over the task of cleaning up the form-feed paper. It is fairly straightforward, fairly mindless and gives one a sense of accomplishment. Yay for all of that. Then again...she did one little stack and thought she was done. Then I watched her try to do some more. It was actually quite humorous. Not very quick or effective, but I did get a giggle out of it. Gotta find giggles where one can!

I had a plan yesterday. I did. And then it got a smidgen changed up by a call from The Smith. David wanted company and a little help with resetting the lighting for an upcoming show. I am glad he called. I do enjoy working on things at the Smith. And they are almost done with their air conditioning install! How awesome is that?! David and I hung out (a lighting joke) for about two hours getting color in the lights and doing some rough focusing. Yay!

After that, my plan continued on its merry way - with David coming along for the ride. Part of my reason for driving down Route 14 was to check on the progress of the new beer place (20+ taps) that is supposed to be opening soon. Two weeks ago they said two weeks to go before opening. Oops. Maybe they will be open after we come back from Maine.

In my on-going quest to go to all of the Wineries around Seneca Lake, I had decided that I would do at least one on Friday. White Springs Winery was the winner of the opportunity to impress me. Read my thoughts on my Brewpubs and Such blog, if you would be so kind...After that, we made a quick stop at Leaf Kitchen to visit with Cassie and friends. We each had a beer and then David headed off into the Sunrise (East) while I went into the Sunset (West) to get some groceries at Wegman's. When I got home I discovered that my wheat pizza crust was a tad moldy! Eeek! So I nipped that bit out and went on with my life.

Mom had salmon, asparagus and corn on the cob for dinner. I had pizza. We both had yummy food! Yay!

After dinner, mom watched Now Voyager. I didn't so I can't review it. She seemed to enjoy it, which is always a good thing.

2 comments:

Ice Cube said...

This is my favorite lyric:

"It's not what you look like / When you're doing what you're doing / It's what you look like / When you're doing / What you look like you're doing."

Augustus said...

I like it, Ice Cube!