Friday, June 28, 2013

Let's Start with Wednesday

The other night I wanted to watch an action movie. I looked on Netflix and found Haywire which I started to watch. A) It was bad and 2) it was not running smoothly - which could have been because of any number of reasons. So I watched - or as it turns out - re-watched - Sahara starring Matthew McCouneghy (Ok, no idea how to spell that - Matthew McConaughey) Steve Zahn (an action star?) and Penelope Cruz. It took me a while to realize that I had seen it before. I think it was supposed to be a franchise starter, but it didn't happen. Fun but not great by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the day yesterday, yay! I puddled around the house until around noon, then headed back to Bangor. One of the nice things about driving all the way to Bangor - about an hour all together, is that I get to listen to my audio book. Right now I am listening to Seabiscuit. The author is sure showing off her research! But it is an entertaining and interesting story.

My plan wasn't too fleshed out - mainly to go to Geaghan's again, and this time try some food. I did. I had wings and onion rings. The wings were very good. The onion rings were ok - a little cold to start even, and a little doughy. The other food I saw come out of the kitchen looked appetizing. For a full post about Geaghan's please check out my Brewpubs and Wineries and Such blog. I had a lovely time chatting with my fellow bar inhabitants. All regulars it seemed from the banter between them and the bartender.

Since Geaghan's had wifi, I could do a little websurfing - just a little - because the battery on my laptop now lasts about half an hour when unplugged - to try to find my next destination. I had looked earlier and was sort of leaning towards Blackbeard's Amusement Center. That was to be followed by a visit to Black Bear Microbrew. And that's what happened.

First stop, Blackbeard's. My GPS took me there, but I didn't find it immediately - maybe because the GPS told me it was on the wrong side of the street. Or maybe I misinterpreted what it was telling me. It could have been user error. But I did find it. Way off the street and a very unprepossessing building. I went in and wandered around to see what all there was. As advertised, there were two mini-golf courses - one was closed - because there weren't enough people one of the staff told me. Batting cages galore. The fish pond looked a little worse for wear. The arcade room was not too exciting, though they did have pool tables and they had go-carts. I opted to just play golf.

There were a few groups already playing. The holes were not all that exciting but there were a couple that were challenging. Only one with a mystery funnel. Got a lucky hole in one on that! I also liked hole #13 that went through a cave. I was surprised it was a par 2! Eeek! I managed to play underpar for the whole round. Go me!

Off to Orono, ME to find Black Bear Microbrew. Found it, and they weren't open yet. Well, the doors were open, but the beautiful bartender Hannah was just getting things set up for the day. So I went for a wander about downtown Orono. Nice teeny little town. A pizza place, some other restaurants, some stores. But I was done in about 10 minutes. I am not a big shopper, so didn't go in any of the stores. There were still a few minutes till 4 when the Taproom opened, so I sat in my car and snoozed a bit.

I opened my eyes to find it was after four! Eeek! I ran the ten feet or so to the Microbrewery to find that the place was already almost completely full. Yes, it is really small. But a very popular spot. I had a lovely time tasting beer and chatting with all and sundry. Everyone was very pleasant and welcoming. Definitely a place I would hang out at once a week or so. The beer was pretty good - I especially liked their stout - as I normally do - though their Gearhead was my second favorite.

My visit was not a lengthy one because I had to get back for dinner. Juliet made white fish and I actually enjoyed eating it! Ok, enjoyed might be a little strong. It was good, though.

Long day, lots of excitement, yay vacation!!

No comments: