Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wake of the Flood

No, this isn't some homage to the Grateful Dead. The thought just occurred to me that Grace's visit was a bit like a natural disaster - not in a bad way - but in a force of nature sort of way. Good nature, not bad nature. More like a tornado than a deluge. And now that she is well and truly not here, we can begin to get back to our routine, which is a mixed blessing. It was great to have someone in the house with a different energy. Someone who was motivated and motivating. Well, we will just have to move forward under our own impetus.

Yesterday was a recouping day for me. For mom, who can tell? At first I had grandiose plans about all the things I was going to accomplish. Then, after being up for a little bit, really, really early, and writing blog posts for a long seeming time, I decided I really needed to sleep some more. So I did. For a long time. Eeek! I guess I needed it.

For lunch, I made mom some "yellow" glop as she calls it. It looks distinctly orange to me but I just can't correct her. I mean, it is sweet potato, after all. With a little butter and a little brown sugar. And her typical sandwich. I wish she was capable of letting me know what she really wanted for lunch. But she isn't. So, I keep making the sandwich. I added fruit and a few other items to my shopping list for later. 

Later came sooner than I expected. Part of me had forgotten about the foot appointment I made for mom, part of me hadn't - the part that set up reminders on my phone! So, we got dressed, mom in her clothes, me in mine, and headed off to the Podiatrist. They were all very nice. The podiatrist thought mom's feet were in good shape. She did some work on the nails, but said the scary one just needed time and it ought to be fine. I guess I will just check on it now and again.

After the foot doctor, even though as doctor visits go it was pretty non-traumatic, I decided we needed an ice cream treat. And, I had seen on the internet that Mr. Twistee had finally put grape sherbet back on tap! Woo hoo! Grape for me, cappuccino crunch for mom. Some yum for everyone!

I left mom in the car (overcast and cool) with her ice cream, which she said was way too much and she could never finish it and would save some for later, while I headed in to the store for some food shopping. I think I was gone ten minutes. When I returned, mom was still there but the ice cream wasn't. Which is about what I expected.

Back home, mom husked the corn without being prompted. Yay! I don't mind husking, or is it shucking, corn. But anything that mom can do to feel helpful and useful is to the good! Dinner was hamburgers, corn, tater tots and a salad, for which I got carrots, celery, green peppers, two kinds of lettuce and mushrooms. Yippee! Oh, I learned somewhere that the same trick for carrots works for celery. Keep them in water in the fridge and they will both be crispy! I can hardly wait! For so long, I have avoided celery and carrots for the limp factor. Now, I have achieved eternal crispiness! Huzzuh!!

All in all, a quiet, relaxed day. Did a little and moved forward a few baby steps. Who can ask for anything more?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The determination of which word to use regarding corn has to do with locale more than meaning and has to do more with harvesting than preparing corn to cook and eat. Since most corn is fed to livestock it was generally "prepared" in the fields to be delivered to the animals as feed. In Iowa, corn is "picked", in other large corn areas of the country it is "shucked". Once it is either picked or shucked then farmhands called "huskers" would remove the husk and shank and bin it for feed. For our modern-day purposes, "husked" is probably closest to the correct terminology.

Augustus said...

Thank you Anonymous!