Monday, June 17, 2013

Funny how things turn out

It is funny how things turn out. Yesterday, I was supposed to meet a friend in Victor, NY. We had been trying to figured out a time to meet and had landed on Sunday. Then, another friend, this one from Seattle, and her husband came to Rochester for a wedding (or two as it turns out). So we arranged to get together. Which put a kink in my plans with the first person - who, as matter of fact, was going to have a busy Sunday and would have rather rescheduled anyway. So we postponed - maybe till Saturday or sometime in July, whichever works out. So, yesterday morning, I got a call from my Seattle friends saying that they had a surprise second wedding to attend so that logistically it would be difficult to get together. From getting together with 3 friends to getting together with no friends. Oh well. Life is that way sometimes.

Since all that happened, and I was planning on having an adventure, I decided I would head out into the world and try a new-to-me brewery and perhaps a winery. I invited mom to go several times (several in this case being five) to each of which she responded with some variation of "you don't really want me to come." To which I responded basically "of course I would like you to come." Which resulted in her saying that she just wanted to stay at home. Which I interpreted to mean that she would rather that I stay at home as well. But that wasn't happening. So after I gave her lunch and saw that she had eaten most of it (except for a slice or two of apple), I headed out. Alone. Mixed blessing. Being alone means that I move at my pace and do what I will. Traveling with mom means traveling at mom's pace and trying to keep her as comfortable as possible - but then I don't have to worry about being back at any particular time.

One man's weed...
As I headed out the door, I saw this plant - which I am pretty sure is a weed - but the flower is pretty! Any one know what it is?

Out and about - my first stop was Finger Lakes Beer Company, located near Hammondsport (in Hammondsport?) NY. I am not going to blog about them in my brewpubs and such blog because they don't serve food. I did, though, have a nice time and if it were closer, I would probably visit there at least once more. There were a couple of beers coming that I would like to taste. Don't know if I will make the trek out there again, though. We shall see. A Watermelon beer and a yummy sounding scotch ale. The beers I did have, in a teeny, weeny tasting glass, were decent but not very inspired or exciting. The man serving the tastings was personable - an assistant brewer - which means he generally mostly does the scutwork - is going for an interview at another brewery in Ohio! Which is where one group of tasters was from. Another pair were from PA. At the FLBC, I picked up a flyer that listed all of the beer-centric places around NYS (not including NYC an environs). I think I have been to quite a few of them already. No surprise there, really.



They are growing some hops


$3 for a tasting of seven beers - or 8 or 9...
Next stop was the Arbor Hill Grapery which got its own post. The main reason I went there was the Beer and Brats part of the establishment (which also got its own blog post). Nice places, and probably worth another visit. Someday. And suddenly, it was late in the day. So I zipped home.

Originally I had planned for dinner to be at Friendly's. But that would have entailed a period of getting mom ready for an outing. So I opted to make a dinner from leftovers again - pizza for everyone, as well as corn on the cob and a big salad. Tasty and easy, just the way I like it most days!

Mom and I ate dinner and watched a new episode of Inspector Lewis on PBS Masterpiece Mystery. Yay! Don't know if mom followed the somewhat convoluted plot (it was a mystery, after all), though I figured out who had done it as soon as s/he was introduced. (See how I did that?!)

Lastly, after a long enjoyable day, I unwound with a movie. ParaNorman caught my eye on Netflix. Fun stuff - a little predictable, but it was a kids movie. Glad I stayed up to watch it!

There you are, a day that started off with one plan and ended up with a completely other plan. And what fun was had?!


No comments: