Monday, June 24, 2013

Two, two, two posts in one (sort of)(not really)

Sorry for the lack of a post on Sunday. It was a driving day. And since I didn't do any packing on Saturday, when I got up, I spent the whole time doing that. For me and mom. I still forgot some stuff, but since we aren't in the middle of nowhere - oh, wait, yes we are - but somewhere is driveable from here - we can buy what we might be missing. Yay.

So, what did I miss? I mean, what did you miss? Besides me? And my face? And my charming, witty post? Saturday was a pleasant day, all things considered. Yay!

Most bestest about the day was going to a new-to-me ice cream place in Victor, NY. They served Perry's ice cream, forzen yogurt and sherbet and all that sort of thing. A friend and I met there. She had frozen yogurt, I had watermelon sherbet. Not as good as Mr. Twistee's but I managed to choke it down without biting any of my fingers too badly. After that, a nice walk through the city of Victor.

There is an owl hooting outside my window. How freakin' cool is that?

Nothing else too exciting happened on Saturday. See, so a post wouldn't have been all that easy for me to write - and hence, probably, not all that easy for you to read. I did make decent food - best part was spinach with onions and mushrooms - for dinner. Used up a lot of produce and leftovers and left the refrigerator mostly empty! Yay! Oops, except for a little bit of lettuce that will probably deliquesce while we are away. At least it won't be stinky.

Oh, one other Saturday night thing - I bought a collection of four Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movies and played The Gay Divorcee (one of my favorites) for mom - she was thrilled. Yay!

Sunday was a lot of driving - from Geneva to Northport or Bayside-ish (where my sister and her husband live) is, according to my GPS about a 10 hour drive. Which is what it took - with four stops - coffee and breakfast for mom, lunch for mom, topping off the tank and rest stop with ice cream for mom. Not too shoddy. There was one bit of traffic - a sign said there was a 23 minute delay - so I told my GPS quickly that there was a detour and it took me on a nice side road that kept moving most of the time. Yippee!

Mom chatted the entire time. I mean, the entire time. Used to be that I could count on a couple of hours of silence when mom fell asleep, but not this trip. I tried feeding here and that didn't work. I tried to not respond, that didn't work. Yipes! But we survived it.

Juliet and Paul welcomed us into the sweet embrace of "the Maine house." Mom immediately wanted to play with the new kitten, but had to wait for almost an hour before she got to. She really wants a cat. Am I evil for denying her one? At this point, I really don't want to be responsible for more living critters around the house. Me and mom, plus all of the plants that she no longer remembers to water, are enough for me. I am sure a cat would be nice and all, but unlike a dog - which is even more work - cats may or may not been interested in being lap pets. Sigh. Damned either way, I am sure.

Dinner was delicious and I didn't have to lift a finger. Yippee!

Now, I need to figure out whether or not I really want to drive all the way to the NYC area for some friend visitations. If I had to leave today, I know I would not go... And I have not heard from many of my acquaintances begging to be seen. What is up with people nowadays?! Get out of the virtual world and take a minute to actually meet people in the real, physical world! Just sayin'!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. You always manage to have fun from simple things in life. What a gift! The part about your mom kept talking actually made me smile. You put it in a lovely way--only a caring son is capable of that?! Speaking as a mother whose son barely speaks to her and his dad. Sigh. Enjoy your visit in Maine and say hi to Juliet and Paul. They had us for dinner when they were in MA and we in RI. Lovely couple. Love to Renee. ly

Augustus said...

Thank you Ly! Will say hi to J&P for you!