Sunday, June 9, 2013

Movie Pack Fizzle and another Day with Graceland!

I had what I thought was a great idea, but apparently, not so much. There are compilations of movies sold in 50 packs that are available. The movies are mostly second and third rate films, but there are some interesting ones sprinkled in amongst them. I thought maybe mom would be happy just to have new fodder to watch and would be happy watching them regardless of whether she knew them or not. Oops. Movie package fizzle. I told her one of the packages contained musicals. She said she loved Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers (I mean, who doesn't?!). Well, there were two Fred Astaire movies in the package, so I put one of them on. She was unimpressed and suffered through it complaining only every other time I checked on her. Obviously she was underwhelmed. Sigh. I guess I bought them for me, now, because I looked through the titles on both boxes, and few things resembling well known movies leapt out at me. Life is that way sometimes.

Saturday dawned grey and wet here in Geneva. Not a total surprise, but I was hoping for a little sun. Still, the temperature did get up to around 70 I think. At least it didn't feel cold, which is great. I woke up and heard Grace puttering around in the kitchen. Little did I know that I would come downstairs to discover that she was on a cleaning mission. I don't think the place has been this clean for months at least. She even cleaned out the refrigerator! Wow! Some house guests you just don't want to leave! :)

We hadn't really planned out what was going to happen while Grace was here on vacation. We ended up discussing the options and chose two for our Saturday's activities: horse racing and the planetarium. Both were things that everyone (all three of us - me, Grace and mom) would, hopefully enjoy. Mom likes going to the track - this is the second time we have gone. I need to remember to bring her a pillow to sit on next time we go (if there is a next time) (not that anything bad happened, but life is uncertain at the best of times). Grace had never been, but she is open to new experiences.

After lunch, we headed to Farmington NY to see the ponies. I think it is a great way to spend some time. One is outside (mostly), watching the races is fun - especially if you put $2 into a bet - the food is ok, people watching is great, parking is free! We ended up watching 4 races, which is about 2 hours worth of time. I bet and lost on the first race, though my horse did come in second. Grace took over betting duties and really got into reading all of the information that was available. And she did pretty well with our bets. I think over the course of the day we came out $.70 ahead! Which is way better than not coming out ahead! I think Grace may have a future as a horse racing tout! :) I had neglected to feed myself any lunch, so I picked up some food - Grace said she was all set. Mom received a fish sandwich, which she seemed to enjoy and I had a tuna melt - with house made potato chips which were pretty tasty! How they get them to be so crispy and to stay crispy for a while is still mind-boggling to me.

After our racing experience, we headed to Rochester to the Strasenburgh Planetarium. Got there in plenty of time - especially since there were only about 20 people who were also there waiting to see a program. Before looking online to figure out what they had going showing, I was expecting an astronomical show of some kind. It is, after all, a Planetarium. But all the star and planet shows were in the morning and were aimed at little kids. Instead, the afternoon programs were all nature type movies. We saw Amazing Journeys - about migrations of animals. My favorite was the red crabs portion of the movie. Mom loved the Zebras the best. Grace liked the whole thing. I am still a little irked that it wasn't a star show. Oh well. Still enjoyable. And I have a renewed interest in going to see the Pink Floyd Laser show one weekend night. If I can find someone to go with, even better! Anyone interested, please send me a note!

We got home latish and Grace immediately started to cook! Can we keep her? We had talked about a Sweet Potato and Kale Gratin she had seen online. Early in the morning, she had gone shopping to get the ingredients. Talk about thinking ahead! Mom and I chilled, though mom did more than I to help by setting the dining room table. True, she set it for four, but that's ok. She took some convincing that there were truly only three of us. Dinner was delicious! Yay Grace!

After dinner, I put a movie on for mom - a British Comedy - which I think she didn't follow, but seemed to enjoy anyway. Grace and I went for a walk to Seneca Lake and then downtown, then the lake again and ended up at Microclimate for a quick beer for me (and nothing for her). My newest Facebook Friend was working behind the bar, so we got our Photo with Facebook Friend picture out of the way!

After getting back, mom was still feeling feisty, so I put on one of her nature shows that she and Grace enjoyed together. I went and played! Everyone had a good time. Slowly, people drifted off to bed. I eventually made it as well and ended up watching Immortals on Netflix before going to sleep. It was not awesome. Mildly entertaining is probably the best I can give it. Pretty darn gruesome and violent in parts. Ick. But my nightmares weren't too bad, so that's a positive, right?

All in all, a great day! Onwards.

Oh, for those interested, I am posting photos on Facebook.


No comments: