Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Forgot to post this...

Having decided that I am not going to drive long distances while on vacation, what did I do yesterday? Drive middling distances. The fact of the matter is, everywhere is far from where my sister lives in Maine. So yesterday, after getting up slowly and not doing a whole lot, I went into town for lunch again. I went to the same place I went yesterday and did not have an optimal experience. It was ok at best. The food was tasty, but the poor server was swamped and so everything took longer than I had been hoping. Not that I had huge plans for after lunch. In fact, I had no plans for after lunch at all. But like most humans, I think, I want what I want when I want it. I had a decent hamburger and a hummus plate. I like the hummus I make at home better, but theirs was decent.

After that, I really had no idea what I wanted to do. So I got in the car and started driving. Heading Vaguely North and East for a while, listening to Seabiscuit on the CD player. Eventually, I needed to stop and noticed that I was fairly close to Bangor. That's where I headed. As I drove into town, I saw a sign for a restaurant and craft brewery. Honestly, I didn't have high expectations going in. It was a restaurant attached to a motel. And it looked teeny and I was sure that they probably farmed their beer making out to some other place, a la Custom Brewcrafters in NY. But I got a pleasant surprise! Yay! In fact, I plan to head back there today. A brewpub post will be forth coming. Eventually.

Then I headed back to my sister's house for a delicious scallop dinner, topped off by more Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Still yummy.

I keep thinking about money and life. I am pretty sure that most people don't really, truly want to be "rich." Then again, I could be wrong. Maybe most people want to drive around in diamond studded cars. And I would, when I am older (like tomorrow), like a chauffeur. Though a self driving car would take care of that need. I don't need a mansion. I don't need servants. I don't need to always fly first class - though why aren't all the seats on a plane first class? Or at least "business" class? Don't give me economics reasons, please. I know those. I just think that life and time are too precious to be made to suffer through coach class. Or steerage. What is most important in life? I don't think that happiness and contentment are overrated. Not the, let's sit and vegetate and do nothing sort of contentment, but inner contentment - comfort with oneself.

No comments: