Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Are toe nails supposed to look like that?

I did not choose to follow in my brother's footsteps and become a nurse. (One of his 5 degrees, I think - let's see - BA, MBA, CPA, RN - nope, only four - though I could be missing one or two or three...) Though, you know, I did toy with the idea of Chiropractic, Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture, psychology and sonograming. Anyway, choosing to be mom's primary caregiver I see and saw (Marjorie Daw) my duties and responsibilities as being a facilitator, bill payer, cook, chauffeur and general helper. I did not want to help her shower - which the aide does - or cut her toenails or any other body maintenance. Not that I am particularly squeamish - just not what I enjoy doing - and yes, I do believe life is supposed to be enjoyed - even the unenjoyable parts. So yesterday, when the aide told me that one of mom's toenails was not able to be cut, I took a look. Eeeek! Looked like a rhino horn instead of a toenail. I cleaned some gunk out, always a yummy undertaking, and took my clippers to it - eventually getting some of it cut off. I then proceeded to set up a podiatrist visit for her for next week. Yippee!

Meanwhile, in other news, I am engaged in a second round of sorting of the boxes in the alcove in the back study of the house. I put most of them there early on in my tenure here in Geneva. Back when I had vague notions that mom might actually be able and willing to go through boxes I had culled for her. I think the willingness is there on her part - but not the ability. So, this time through, I am making much more drastic choices - not as drastic as could be made - I am keeping anything that smacks of correspondence for instance, but still, letting go of a lot more. I am also keeping many of mom's teaching materials. Again, not because she will actually look at them - but she might. Probably won't, but might. I plan on putting boxes of mom papers up in the attic in the same room where her mom's papers (that have not been looked at in more than 20 years I don't believe) are stored. And culling out anything that might be important. As well as lots and lots of blank note cards, pads, padlets and things like that. Fun times! Only 20 boxes to go through and the alcove will be emptied! Though the interim goal of being able to rehang my father's portrait in there ought to be accomplished tomorrow perhaps!

Mom caught cold somehow. I am leaning towards a potentially infectious tangent starting with small ones who recently visited. Just a hunch. Though of course she could have picked it up on one of the outings she went on with Karl and the kids...Luckily I have a more robust immune system and have not come down with anything. Yet. Then again, I didn't really interact with the kids all that much.

2 comments:

Bosey said...

I recommend a trip to a good podiatrist on a regular basis for Ma. I have gotten to the point where I go get a pedicure once a month or sometimes every third week. Someday you will be there, yourself, and you will understand.

Augustus said...

Thank you Bosey! I agree! Feet are so important and so often neglected. I massage and defoliate my feet during every shower. And check the nails regularly!