Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Last Day of Grace's Visit

Great visit from Grace! Yay! I am so happy that she took me up on my offer to visit. I think mom enjoyed her visit, for the most part, as well! Yippee, even! Our final day was in many respects similar to the other days of Grace's visit: filled with rain! One day out of four was sunny for her. Sigh. Fairly representative of the weather here in beautiful Geneva, NY. Grace went out early, as is her wont, and did exercise-y things while I puttered on my computer writing blogs. The she came back and puttered around the house while I, er, continued to putter on my computer. Writing blogs. Eventually I looked at my phone and found a message saying that the aide was coming early, so I zipped out to the grocery store - which was surprisingly crowded for so close to noon - and bought salami (for mom's sandwiches) and fiber bars (for mom's, um, fiber...). And I went to the bank. Oh, and the post office. Saw several people that I knew out and about. I discovered that one of the bank tellers sews custom wedding dresses as part of her life. Another person is performing in A Chorus Line in Pittsford, NY.

Home again, welcomed Jenny the aide, who arrived just as I returned from the store and made lunch. Grace did such an awesome job on the kitchen, that I think Jenny was a little at a loss as to what to clean! Yay! Once she and mom got squared away, Grace and I headed to Syracuse to find something to do before her early evening flight. Our choice, the Erie Canal Museum.

I have always thought the Erie Canal, and canals in general, were pretty cool pieces of engineering and history. I would love to travel along one - either by its side on a bike or down it on a boat. Maybe one day. The museum was small, filled with interesting things including a packet boat! Grace played dress up and was surprised that the clothes were so small (yet many fit her...). Not a bad way to spend an hour or so.

After that, Grace was feeling a bit peckish, so we headed out in search of a place to nosh. We found Ryan's right down the street. If I lived in Syracuse, I would visit there frequently. 60+ taps of pretty good looking beer. Decent food - we shared a buffalo chicken salad. Nice staff, a pool table - not sure about wifi - but I think that if I were a regular they might give me the access code. This just might be the go-to place for me in Syracuse. I did discover that I have indeed done both of the brew pubs in Syracuse already. I wonder if I have written and posted about both of them. Hmm...

Off to the airport. Grace chose to be dropped (not literally) off so we got in our goodbye hugs and I waved as she headed into the airport. Little did we know that she would have such a long day of travel. I think she finally arrived back at home in her abode after 1 in the morning! Eeeek!

My drive back to Geneva was pleasant - listening to Water for Elephants still. Got back and headed out to get Ling Ling Chinese Buffet Food for dinner. Easy and quick and mom seems to enjoy it. The rest of the evening was spent relaxing. Yay!

You all may have noticed that when something slightly adventurous happens around us here, I tend to be focused on that. When nothing much is happening except routine, I tend to be more reflective. Well, I have noticed it...Yay for variety?!

No comments: