Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day Three Trip to Geneva

Another exciting day here in Geneva. Got up and took a shower. For some reason I am reluctant to use the shower here. It isn't that bad once I start, but it is off putting. Perhaps it is that the water doesn't get all that hot (we turned down the water heater so my mom wouldn't scald herself). Or the weird bathmat. Or the way the handles have been turned around from so much use. Anyway, I am clean for the moment! We got out of the house a little later than I would have liked. I am trying to find a present to put under the tree for mom. So we went to the Waterloo Outlet Mall - halfway between Geneva and Waterloo. Just like any set of outlet malls.

We looked in a few stores - Claire's Accessories (for another present for someone else) and the woman there suggested a clothing store for pants for my mom. Next the book store. They had a couple of deals that I thought were tempting - but since I am not in my car (having flown here) I thought about lugging them back home and opted not to get the $60 twenty pound coffee table book. Sigh. I just love buying books. Sad. Next we went to the clothing store and managed to convince mom to buy two pairs of pants. Honestly, I think she wears one pair for a month before washing them. Eeeek! I chatted with the salesperson while mom tried on the pants. She was telling me about her father and his last years. Fun stuff. No seriously, interesting and fun.

Next, a kitchen supply place. Mom bought me a knife. I am very excited. With my recent foray into cooking, a good knife is just what I need! I realized, though, that TSA might not let me carry it on the plane in my carry on luggage - so we will send it to me before I leave.

Lastly, we went to a perfume store, where mom replenished her stock of 4711. Big time!

Wow - that was enough for a whole day, but wait, there's more! Lunch of leftovers at home - pizza (all gone now) and Hot and Sour Soup (still a smidge left). Then I headed out on my own. One of the hard things about coming to Geneva is that I feel like spending time not in the house is unfair to my mom. I have felt like this since I was 20 and living here to go to school. Oh well. My problem. Anyway, I managed to head off by myself for an hour and a half. Back to Wegman's (like a cross between Food Lion and Lowe's Food) for groceries. I like going to the grocery store. People watching is always entertaining. Got some ingredients to make Cream of Broccoli Soup and Scalloped potatoes. Then to Walmsrt to try to find a movie for mom. No luck. Then to the local movie rental place - no luck - though they suggested Big Lots and I am going to try them on Thursday.

At home, I cooked. We had omelets and broccoli soup for dinner. The omelet was great! The soup, ok, but not great. :( The entertainment option for the evening was another movie - How Do You Know. I have a love hate relationship with Romantic Comedies. I always hope that love can happen like that - especially friends turning into romantic partners - but life doesn't seem to work out like that for me.

Then home again home again! And bed. Sleeping is good. :)

No comments: