Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day Eight Trip to Geneva

Interesting day - not in a good way. I think I am about at the end of my emotional mom tether. We had planned a lazy day. Just sitting around and reading. My sister gave me a book from some guy I had never heard of. Turns out he is an entrepreneur who I ought to have heard of. Surprisingly interesting life and set of people he knows. So enjoyable reading. Mom wanted to go to see the Harry Potter movie. But she didn't want to go because I had already seen it. I made it clear that I was willing to go again. After much back and forth, she agreed to go. And I thought eating at the Mexican Restaurant in the strip mall where the theatre was would be an easy thing to do. As the day went along, mom started to want to see The Kennedy Honors show. Fine with me, changing plans is not that huge a deal. So, we decided to go to Parker's, a local pub, for dinner then come back and watch the TV show. We went, ate and came back in plenty of time. Mom looked at her TV guide and couldn't find the show. I took it in hand and discovered that the show was on Tuesday night, not Monday night. Sigh. So, I decided we were going to go to the movie after all, which we did. No harm, no foul.

This is another "interesting" bit. The whole day mom kept asking me about a set of storage containers. I got some for her and the house for Christmas because she has none. She kept asking me if they were mine. I mean seriously, ten times throughout the day. We looked at her Christmas list three times where she wrote that I had given them to her. I told her every time, patiently, that they were hers and I already had storage stuff at my house. Over and over again. I don't know how to handle this. Mom barely knows what day it is. Can't find anything in her house. She admitted the other day that she is glad she doesn't have to worry about having and driving a car. She would be safer in a nursing home, but that is a terribly hard decision to make. Is putting my mom in a nursing home anything like her sending me to boarding school? Ok, similar but not the same at all...

2 comments:

Yr Nephew Sam said...

Interesting analogy between a nursing home and a boarding school ... I suppose these are both institutions that people put other people into at particular times of their lives for their own good. (Some people, like my brother, ask to go to boarding school, and some people I suppose arrange for themselves admission to nursing homes, but not many.)

Augustus said...

My thought too. I enjoyed boarding school. I probably would enjoy a nursing home. :)