Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Experiment Continued

So, it is almost the end of Monday here on the East Coast. Of the 280ish people that I sent personalized Christmas/New Year messages to, I have heard from a little over 100. That isn't good, in my opinion. I know that there are at least ten who never check their facebook. Maybe twenty. But that leaves 160 who do. My thought is if they haven't responded in a week, to drop them as friends. Any opinions? The ones who I can't drop, high school friends, people I have known for more than five years, family, them I will keep regardless. But people who I have met once or twice and we became facebook friends, usually on their prompting as I try my best not to send friend requests (fear of rejection), them, I can let go of without many qualms, can't I?

4 comments:

elly said...

Hi Augustus...thanks for including me in your personalized holiday greetings. Here's what I think. People are weird. Facebook is weird. Sometimes people are rude. Sometimes people are overly distracted, especially around the holidays. Sometimes FB doesn't flag new messages. So you never know. I tend to not delete people on FB unless they do something pretty bad. I have added a zillion people due to the two games that I play. I have to delete a few weird scary people from time to time. But I guess it's really up to you. I think it's rude and unfriendly in general to just ignore a message such as the one you sent. But there are things I tolerate on FB that I don't tolerate otherwise. I guess what I am saying is that to me, it just doesn't mean the same thing.

Yr Nephew Sam said...

First of all I think that's a *very* high response rate you got. As Ellen says, lots of people don't notice messages on FB, lots of people just don't respond as a rule, lots of people are busy/distracted around the holidays, maybe using FB to "broadcast" pictures or whatever but not reading what other people post / send them. Also, c'mon, you sent out TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY messages over the course of a few hours and you call them "personalized"? It's quite an achievement but if you thought of it as sending out Christmas Cards you would see that it is not really fair to your correspondents to expect them to necessarily immediately respond ... ? my 2¢

Augustus said...

Hi Ellen - Good points - perhaps I am just using this as an excuse to cull my FB list of people that I don't want anymore anyway...Did you get flagged about yours?

Sam - you got a smiley face - the only person of the 280 that did. I made every note especially for that person. And I do think of them like Christmas cards - but ones that are incredibly easy to respond to - unlike real Christmas cards - I mean, how long does it take to type Thank you! and hit the Reply button, even on a smart phone? And I am not looking for immediate response (although at least 60 people responded almost immediately...) Anyway, as I said to Ellen, maybe I am just using this experiment as a way to cull my list of Friends a bit more...

Yr Nephew Sam said...

It is true I think that the new electronic Christmas Card has it all over the old school kind.

Here's mine, everybody! http://bit.ly/hkHnBe