Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day one Trip to Geneva

Travel day! I do so enjoy traveling. Even when it doesn't go as smoothly as one could hope. All in all, it wasn't a bad travel day. I did have to get up pretty early for me. Cate and Daniel do it all week long - getting up around 5 or so. Eeek! We all got up and got ready and got out on time - we chose 6:15 as the leaving time so that Cate could get to work on time. I hope she did! I zipped through the security check with narry a difficulty. Oh, I think I did lose a pen. 1 down, 250 to go (I have way too many pens). I found the gate and sat down to wait. By waiting, I mean napping. Napped and napped. And then got on the plane. Teeny! I couldn't even stand up straight in the aisle. But it was a jet, instead of a turboprop. Found my aisle seat - I like the aisle for the view of the plane that they afford. Got my elephant pillow and my sound canceling headphones out and was getting comfortable when a couple got on the plane. Their seats were separated, so I agreed to swap. Still an aisle seat. And proceeded to nap. I hope I didn't drool on the doctor flying to Burlington in the seat beside me. Anyway, I napped and napped and kept looking out the window to see that we weren't moving. Apparently we didn't move for an hour! No window of opportunity to land at Reagan National in Washington. Oh well. More napping.

The flight was uneventful. I got a glass of water and napped some more. When we were getting close to landing, the steward starting asking about people's connections. Turns out that most of us were going to miss ours, since we were an hour late. at least 6 of us were going on to Syracuse. I bonded with a woman and her two lovely college daughters. Their answer to the question of what they were studying sounded practiced: Daughter one (Meredith College) Psychology, Daughter two (Elon College) Psychology, Mother "Just plain Psycho!" She was great, though. When it came time to get our boarding passes to the next flight, she convinced the agent to give us all a free lunch! Woohoo!

So, I sat in the airport for more than two hours. Napping. Ok, not all napping. I did some people watching. I love people watching. Did some writing - started maybe four blog entries that may or may not make it here. Helped out a man from Jamaica by lending him my phone. We commiserated about the state of the nation and talked about all sorts of things. Including Marijuana. Ate my lunch - from 5 guys - still not thrilled with their food - really don't like their french fries at all. The ten dollar voucher was almost entirely used up on that meal! Eeek! I also texted with a friend for a while which helped to make the time more pleasant.

Finally got on another teeny plane and flew to Syracuse. Yippee! Lovely, overcast Syracuse. I used Enterprise for my rental car company. My mom's Discover card was declined and I ended up having a nice chat with the security people. Turns out that there is something wrong with the card's data strip. Not going to worry about it. The car I got (a picture has been posted to Facebook) is some sort of Chevy. Reminds me of a PT cruiser but larger. The drive was pleasant enough, despite blowing snow for the first 20 minutes.

Got to Geneva safely, which is always a good thing. Mom and I decided that the first night I would not cook, so we got Pizza hut pizza - I like their pan pizza - and a few chicken wings. Then off to the movies to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I think I read those books 41 years ago. Weird! Fun movie, though. I wonder if they are making a version of The Last Battle... Then home to bed for me. Long day! Today - shopping!

No comments: