Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Anger word Puzzles

So much is taken for granted, it seems to me. I, for one, take being able to do a crossword (or even a happy word) puzzle as a fairly straightforward sort of task. Not that I can do the tough ones easily (that's why they are considered tough, I would guess) but at least I can figure out the mechanics of the puzzle. Mom can't. I was surprised that she had a hard time figuring out the relationship between the clues and the boxes in the puzzle. And trying to help her do it, well, it didn't help. I came up with the idea of her writing the words for the answers to the clues right beside the clues. Seemed like a good idea. Something to get her using what is left of her noggin's capabilities. She did two words on her own. Not a hugely self-motivated person is my mom. So, yesterday, we played puzzle for half an hour. I sat with the puzzle book and read clues to her, while she would try and guess the answer. This is an easy puzzle book, so the clues are pretty straightforward. When the clues weren't straightforward, I would modify them a bit to make them a little easier. And when possible, gave her letters in the word to help her along if she was having trouble. She was delighted. Kept saying "I am pretty good at this when you are helping me." And "We are having fun, aren't we!?" I guess we will be doing some of this as long as she is able!

I stopped in at the Smith yesterday to ask a quick question and ended up staying half an hour and with several tasks assigned to me. Yay. Note to self - don't go to the Smith unless I want stuff to do. I also went to the bank and saw Hannah who is leaving to go back to college in a week or so. Ok, I didn't go to see her, but she was there and happily gave me a roll of quarters. Which I needed so I could do laundry. Speaking of laundry, I feel a little disloyal because I have been using the downtown laundromat instead of the one nearer us, in the plaza. I just like the different sized washers at the downtown one and the fact that every quarter is worth 8 minutes in their dryers.

While there I stopped in a the medical supply place. Turns out that they were the ones (sort of) calling us about parts for mom's cpap machine. They are going to stop the calling now. Yay!

After laundering, I went to Staples and got an actual white board with which I am much happier than I was with the weird dry erase board I got from Wegman's. I think it will be a good thing for mom to have and hold onto letting her know where I am and such. And I also did some grocery shopping.

Mom can't eat things in tortillas. I just have to face that fact and move on with my life. I thought she could manage it and I was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Sigh. So, next time we have tacos, she gets to have taco salad and eat it with a fork - or her fingers if she wants - but no more tribulations with taco skins. I must admit I got slightly exasperated at the mess she was able to make of herself before I realized that it was not, of course, something she was doing on purpose. Double Sigh.

Wild night on the town last evening! Tuesdays are my regular night to go out and hang out. Red Dove was busy but the end seat at the bar was invitingly open and waiting for me. I sat and had a beer and chatted with whomever wandered or sat nearby. Then, just as I was thinking of leaving, a few friends showed up. We went off to play pool - how I do enjoy playing pool! - and hang out next door at Trotta's. They have two pool tables that are rarely in use on Tuesday nights. Yay. Then back to Red Dove for a night cap. I left them there around midnight and headed back home, were I checked in with mom and then played for a while before finally falling into bed around 2 in the morning. Huzzuh!

No comments: