Monday, April 19, 2010

West Coast Trip April 2010 - Day Six

Deming to Las Vegas. Goodness, I was making great time. I had shaved at least an hour off the time that my GPS was planning out for me. I like shaving time off the ETA. Until I got to the Hoover Dam. I think the backup was ten miles long. Very sad.



Part of the slow down was a second police check. Not sure if that one was terrorists or another immigration checkpoint. I got waved through. Yippee! I guess I don't look enough like either a terrorist or an illegal immigrant. At one point in our torturous drive, a camper jumped the line about six cars. I was very amused to see that they got asked to pull over to the side so that the occupants and the camper could all be examined in a more leisurely manner! I hope they had to stay there at least half an hour! Hahahahaha! :)



A bypass, due to be finished in late 2010 (according to their website), is being built - that will be a good thing! Still, the Hoover Dam in pretty cool!



Finally, got to Vegas, found my Econolodge and managed to Tanga. Yippee! Then I walked to Fremont street. The clerk at the motel was all doom and gloom, saying it was a long walk and that I might get mugged. It was a short walk and I only got beaten up three times! Seriously, I have had many other, much more frightening walks in my life. The route I took had quite a few scary wedding chapels!



I had never been to Fremont Street before - despite having visited Las Vegas at least five times before this. It was an interesting experience. I don't know if it was a typical day on Fremont Street since it was a Friday. Hmm.



Anyway, I wandered the street for a while and then did my desultory gambling. My gambling goes like this - take a hundred dollars and run it through a slot machine. And whatever I end up with, I end up with. In this case, I ended up with $110! Woohoo! As I was getting ready to move along, I remembered that my friend Jo-Anne had given me $20 to gamble for her. So I put that in and ended up with $7. Sigh. Later I asked her what she wanted me to do with the remaining $7 and she said gamble it too! So I plan to play it on a spin of the roulette wheel. Or perhaps one of those big slow spinning wheels... We shall see.

Next stop, the Strip.



I love just wandering along the strip.



This time, I had a few little stops to make - one of which was at The Mirage to see about the Beatles "Love" show that Cirque is doing there. I chatted with Shannon, a worker in the merchandise shop about the different shows playing in Vegas and she says "Love" is her favorite. She took this wonderful picture of me. :)



Eventually made it back to the motel for a much needed rest!

No comments: