Friday, April 23, 2010

West Coast Trip April 2010 - Day 14

Originally my GPS, which sometimes seemingly anticipates my desires, wanted to send me through California and the freeways. I dissuaded it from that by starting down a mountain road. It dutifully recalculated and I had another lovely drive through the high desert.

I am a bad tourist. I stopped for gas at a Candy store and was approached by a trombone player from the local highschool band. For a donation, he would wash my windshield. He didn't do a great job, but it was cleaner than it had been.



Anyway, I was given the option to go see Death Valley - but I didn't bother to take out my map and see that I really wouldn't have had to do any backtracking to do so. Sigh. I opted not to go. Who knows when next I will have that opportunity. Did I Sigh already? Still, the scenery was great!



The rest of the drive was uneventful. The same Econolodge was waiting patiently for my return. This time I had a much cleaner, happier room - for the same price. Go figure. Again, I had gotten into town fairly early in the day. So I got out and hopped on the bus to the strip. First stop, was Treasure Island to see what time their shows were. Next stop, Mirage to see about tickets for that evening's performance of Love - the Cirque's Beatles show. They had two shows - one at 9:30 which was good for me so that I could Tanga. The ticket seller actually suggested I buy the lesser priced of two tickets - weird. More on that later.

Next stop, Harrah's to gamble my hundred dollars. Not a good gambling experience. David Cummerford mentioned that hotels off the strip had better odds on their slot machines - and I think he was correct. Next time, I think I will try one of the off strip Harrah's properties. Grrr.

Then it was time to head back to Tanga. That was kind of pointless as I didn't do particularly well. Sigh.

Back on the bus to the Strip to hang out till the show started. I checked the timing and realized that I could use my two for one drink ticket that I got with my admission and also go see the TI Sirens show before Love. I went to Revolution, which was opened just for the people who had these tickets and got my two for one beers. Good thing it was two for one. They were charging $8 for a beer! Eeeek!! Cool thing about Vegas, though, is that one can walk the street with beer in hand! Yippee!

The Sirens show was fun, but I liked the pirates versus the British show that they had before. And it would have been better with binoculars - which I conveniently had left in my car. Sigh. This actually didn't strike me until I was watching Love later. Anyway, back to The Mirage and love.

Great show! And the seats were excellent. All the way at the top of the theatre, but not that high and not that far from the stage. And right behind the sound and light boards! Lots of hydraulics, lots of projections, great sound and nicely balanced circus acts versus pure sort of dance stuff.



I also harassed, only mildly, the young saleswoman who had convinced me that Love was worth seeing - Shannon. Sigh.



After the show I was exhausted and headed straight back to the hotel to sleep!

No comments: