Monday, April 19, 2010

West Coast Trip April 2010 - Day Five

Austin to Deming New Mexico. The first four hours of the drive were made less enjoyable due to rain, sometimes incredibly heavy! The speed limit in parts of the Texas drive was 80 miles per hour.



Anyway, I got in my car, fired up the GPS and started out. For some reason, the GPS wanted me to drive almost back to San Antonio before heading West. I wasn't going to do that. I left the highway when I finally figured this out and found a road pointed West. I made a very lucky choice. The road turned into a divided highway, with a sprinkling of stop lights and towns along the way, but mostly one that could be traversed at around 65 miles per hour! And it was a straight shot to Highway 10, the highway I was going to take to points further West.

It would have been a very nice drive through the Western part of Texas except for the rain. I don't like driving in rain at all. Just not pleasant. Oh well, life is like that sometimes. I managed to eventually get out of the rain while still in Texas. Well, I think I was in Texas for about 7 hours anyway.

I eventually made it to New Mexico and stopped at the information center. It was closed. The brochures were out and free, sometimes they have coupons for less expensive stays. And the place had free wifi. I took an actual ten minute break to sit and read and write email and do some internet searching for places to stay before moving on again. I sat in the courtyard and enjoyed not moving for a few minutes.



Las Cruces came up pretty quickly. Somewhere in my drive we had changed from Central Time to Mountain time, moving one hour further from East Coast time. Does anyone call it Atlantic Time? It was still light, it was still early, so I decided to drive on to my originally proposed stopping place, Deming, NM.

No comments: