Monday, April 19, 2010

West Coast Trip April 2010 - Day Four

I did not sleep particularly well. The Air mattress that Sam had purchased for my visit was comfortable enough as air mattresses are concerned, but it also suffered from the same issues that all air mattresses suffer from - they can get really, really cold. It was set up on a stone floor and through the night the cold air seeped into the mattress and permeated it and then started trying to permeate through me! I eventually took my blanket and wrapped myself in it like a cocoon, which seemed to do the trick!



My plan for the day was simple. Go to the Austin Saucer, go visit my old apartment complex, head to UT to visit the theatre department where I had spent three years of my life and visit Sam in his office. I accomplished most of these.

First stop, my apartment complex. The last time I was in Austin (for work a few years ago) I failed to find the apartment. :( This time, I found Pecan Grove almost immediately! It hasn't changed in all these years...



Next stop, Flying Saucer!


I think the Austin Saucer is the next to newest Saucer - well, one of the last three for sure. :) I discovered from my server, Laura, that Richard, the local top Beerknurd, usually came in at lunch time. How fortuitous. I also learned that two of the three women from the calendar still worked at the Flying Saucer, just not that day. She did, though, call and leave messages for them and one (Janeese) actually came in!



Richard is trying to finish enough plates to get to go to the GABF. He does plates because for him it is like a game. Apparently he is good at it! On his ninth plate already!!



I got to chat with two other servers, both very nice!


I also chatted with the bartender a bit - Derron


The Manager on Duty looked vaguely familiar. Frank had asked me to say hi to him.



Later, a man who looked even more like the Dude came in and we chatted for a bit.


After I was all Saucered out, I headed to relive my Grad School days a bit. I wandered around my old stomping ground, the Theatre Department at UT Austin!



Next on my list was a slight replenishment of travel supplies. I ended up at a cool, funky HEB. Kind of like a cross between a food coop and a high end supermarket. I fell in love with Magic Pop! One day I will post a movie of the magic!



During the afternoon, we took the dogs and Lewis, my nephew, for a walk and play period at the park!






As Joanna pointed out, playing at the pet park is sort of like hanging out at a pub!




Post park, I got to hang out with my friends Jess and Nancy and their daughter Laura. I met them when I was at grad school - Jess is a fellow juggler! We had great food that Nancy mostly picked out.



Laura sold 2500 boxes of girlscout cookies - just by smiling and waving! Over dinner we talked about lots of things, including what I am going to do with my life next. Still, sadly, no answer has emerged to that query...



Then a toddle back to Sam, Joanna and Lewis's house for a much more restful night's sleep!

No comments: