Sunday, September 1, 2013

Aha! I wrote some notes!

I did it, and it works. Ok, I knew that. I have done it before. But seriously, my posts have been short because a) not a lot has been happening and 2) I forget the few thoughts and interesting bits that do occur. Sigh.

Mom scared me the other night. I was up latish watching TOS - the episode where the people from Andromeda are turning people into interesting shapes that are easily crushed - when I heard someone (hmm, who could it be, I didn't wonder) creeping down the stairs. I got up and found mom at the top landing. She was heading downstairs to tell the kids who were sitting on the porch to move along. I told her to come get me next time she had such concerns (not that she will remember to, but she might) and that I would happily zip down to check for her. Sure enough, no kids on the porch, just some kids walking by across the street. This incident did scare me a bit, because it proved that mom could be a wanderer, despite her dislike of moving around. Eeeek!

I had a cooking epiphany the other day. Quiche! It has been months since last I cooked it. Mom doesn't know what it is but seems to enjoy it. I explain it as "egg pie." One of the two was a quiche lorraine sort of thing - the other was more of a garbage type - tossed in a bunch of leftovers (not the taco meat) and called it dinner. I forget how easy it really is to make - basically milk product (I use half and half) and eggs in a pie shell. Just about anything else can be added. In my second one we had feta, spinach, mushrooms, onions, chicken and cheddar cheese. Yay. We also had what was probably the last two ears of corn on the cob that we will have for the year. They are just getting small and unappetizing. And a salad. I need to use up my salad like ingredients! I dislike things, especially food, going to waste!

Speaking of which, I noticed some pistachios lying on the floor of my room. There were in a ziploc bag, so I was hoping that they would still be happy and fresh-ish. Sadly, they weren't. Ick. Soggy pistachios are not the best thing on the planet to eat in my opinion. But I didn't want to throw them away, so I suffered through the eating of them. Luckily, there weren't many left! Huzzuh!


At Wegman's, they don't sell Hershey's ice cream - I will look at Tops is I remember - but they did sell a store brand called Cappuccino Chip that might suffice. I bought a tub of it for mom - so when she finishes her pistachio ice cream, she can try that one. Yay!

Mom and I watched Big Miracle together last night. She seemed to enjoy it and I know I did. Loosely based on actual events from 1988, it tells the story of the media frenzy and eventual rescue of some gray whales near Barrow Alaska who had gotten cut off from open ocean by ice. Worth a watch if you like feel good movies about nature.

No comments: