Monday, February 24, 2014

Touch of evil

Is it particularly evil of me to reassure my mom that her assessment of herself in relation to me is accurate? I try to resist the temptation and do the deflecting, disingenuous thing, but many times, the honest answer pops out. Mom says "I am a damn nuisance" and I say "Yes you are." Is there any chance that she will choose to not be needy? Nope. But hope springs eternal. Today it was compresses for her eyes. She ran out of artificial tears and I haven't been to the store to get more. So, to hopefully mitigate some of the comments, I offered to give her a cold compress. "Is there such a thing?" Yes, there is. I put it on. "It's cold." "Yes, it is. Would you prefer a warm compress?" "Is there such a thing.""[Silence as I go down the hall to get a fresh washcloth - warm it up with warm water and return.]""It's not very warm.""It cooled down on the way here." As I walk down the hall, mom says "Why am I sopping wet?" "[In my head "Exaggerate much?!"]"Do you want me to take the compress away?""I guess so. I'm a damn nuisance." "Yes, you are."

Ok, moving on. This blog isn't all about mom - though she is obviously a large part of my life at present. She is not my entire life. Yay! My Saturday - aside from the above incident - was pretty pleasant. I woke up too early and stayed up - with a couple of naps later in the day to tide me over. I wrote a lot of notes - I do love writing. Wish my books had both been bestsellers. Sigh. Maybe another one will be. Anyway, my plan was to do a lot of nothing all day. Except for what I had to do - like cook for lunch and dinner. And that is what I did. I wrote a lot. Played some on the xBox (double XP weekend for some reason on Ghosts). I did go out into the world - got some food at Wegman's - still love to go food shopping - didn't see anyone I knew there, which was surprising - and gas for the car. And that was it. My total foray into the great outdoors.

Thought about the Smith very little. I did take a call from a projectionist who I had forgotten to train on our new power sequencer. Sigh. We muddled through, though, so that was ok too. I did a lot of dishes and got to listen to a lot of my current audio-book - Allegiant - third and last in the primary arc of the Divergent series of books. I made chicken fajitas for dinner. For mom, I mixed most everything together right in the pan - including the salsa. But not the cheese or the sour cream. I really ought to have mixed those in for her - as the first thing she did - wait, I am trying to get away from my blog being totally about her. Moving on. After dinner, I set mom up and went to write and play some more. Eventually, everything wound down and mom went to bed while I watched TNG. I have not reached the point where DS9 comes in. The end, although not quite in sight, is at least acknowledgeable. 

Everyday is another day. I really need to sort through the mail that has been accumulating on my desk. And I do had to go into the Smith to help a projectionist through his first time projecting for us. Other than that, footloose and fancy free! Yay!


No comments: