Thursday, February 13, 2014

I do like Winter

I really do like winter. Not as much as one of my myriad (6) nephews, but I do find it to be, over all, enjoyable. Especially when it is really winter. Not like it has been the past couple of years up here in Geneva. Nor as it was in NC. Here, we are having many days of sub freezing weather in a row. How refreshing. I love the crunch of the snow under my boots. And the top of Seneca lake is decently frozen. I, for one, would love to see the whole lake frozen over. I don't think that has happened since the 1920s. I don't mind shoveling. I don't mind snowdrifts. Or the sound of snow falling. I like icicles. I just like winter. Do I want to live in Winter year-'round? Uh, no. I do like the seasons. So, wherever I end up, I would like it to be a place with seasons.

Mom is making more and more noises about a nursing home. I do wish that we knew what our "must use by" date was. That would make planning so much easier. Our resources are finite, sadly, so I must weight that into the equation. Also, I think she is still compos mentis enough that she is benefiting from being at home. And with the aide coming for a bit every day, I think she is getting a bit more socialization. I am actually meeting with a woman who also wants to help out - unfortunately for pay - so I will see what happens there. Maybe on the weekends for an hour or two? Maybe when I need to get away for a day, she can come in a few hours here and there to keep an eye on mom. Just expanding my support network incrementally.

Finished listening to the second book in the Divergent series. Not surprised to find out (spoiler alert) that they were an experimental society. One more book to go. I read someplace that the main character dies (which is a difficult thing since she is the narrator...). I am, though, going to take a break from those books and listen to a book in the Songs of Fire and Ice Series (better known as the Game of Thrones books).

I am so excited! I bought the first five seasons and the two movies of Doc Martin for mom. I was going to get them on Amazon, but decided to check ebay, just in case. On Amazon, they were being sold for $55. I got them on Ebay for $45! Go me! Saved ten dollars. Woo hoo! (Free shipping on both in case you were wondering) And no tax on Ebay. So I might have saved even more. Double woo hoo!!

Just watched Beautiful Creatures - almost good, very close to good in fact. Lumpy here and there. I didn't really thrill to the lead male character. It comes from a book and I would be that the book is better. Still, I am glad to have seen it. 


No comments: