Sunday, February 9, 2014

Starting to get sketchy

My current secret (ha, I am blogging about it) pleasure has been watching all of the Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. I will follow (and intersperse) these with DS9 and Voyager. Someday will watch Enterprise. Anyway, I am working on Season 4 and already my memories of episodes is getting sketchier. I think this is when I started doing other stuff and didn't have as much time for television. 1991, I was in the Bay Area - either working at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory or the Lawrence Hall of Science. Good but busy times. Maybe good and busy. Hmm.

You know, the "marshmallows" in Lucky Charms don't really taste like marshmallows. Doesn't mean I don't like them or won't eat them...not that I would eat Lucky Charms at my advanced and advancing age (nearly 53, eeek!!).

Speaking of sketchy, my mom freaked out the other morning. I told her I was heading to Rochester - she was still asleep. She is not at her most cogent when she first wakes up. Not until after she has broken her fast and had some coffee is she truly as awake as she will get during a day. So I probably should have told her that I was going to the Smith instead of where I was actually going. Yes, it would have been a lie, but it wouldn't have been as stressful as hearing that I was driving to Rochester and back. Anyway, I was in the middle of my meeting - about which I will write in March - when my phone rang - it was my boss from The Smith. No, no disaster there - instead Asta had called there for some reason. And Asta had been called because for some reason she is still shown as an emergency contact somewhere for my mom. Why aren't these things checked by the companies that provide these services once a year or even every six months? Sigh. Anyway, I called home to find that mom had freaked out and called 911 - complaining that everything was broken (in her body) and she couldn't move. Apparently the handle to the toilet might have broken (it didn't). How she had discovered that from her bedroom (remember, everything was broken, she could not see or move) is a mystery for the ages. I called back a little later and spoke with one of the two Ambulance drivers who said that mom had told them that nothing was really wrong and that she didn't want to go anywhere. I told her than an aide was coming soon and that she would be able to watch my mom until I returned. All ok. But it was a smidge scary and disheartening.

No comments: