Saturday, September 29, 2012

More Media

I have been working through as much media as my brain and eyes can manage. I recently watched all of Lost and was not overwhelmed. I enjoyed it, just not wowed. Currently I am watching the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, which, over all, I am also enjoying. I think I am about to finish season three. Next up, maybe Farscape. The piece of one episode I watched once didn't impress me all that much - but it gets a lot of raves, so I am pushing it up my list a bit.

I also am always trying to keep mom entertained. Most recently, I made mom watch Inglorious Basterds. It was surprisingly good. I hadn't realized it was a Quentin Tarantino movie when I requested it from NetFlix. A little on the violent, bloody side - but I think that mom enjoyed it overall as well. She has problems with movies the plots of which are too complicated. We might have to watch more sitcoms and kids movies - though I don't enjoy explaining humor to her. Sigh.

We watched Emma together - which I had seen before - not sure if she had or not. And I let her watch Remains of the Day on her own - I had seen it before and wasn't too interested in seeing it again. I keep offering to put on one of the Madagascar movies for her, but she hasn't taken me up on it yet. (Thank you Jeff!)

On the xBox front, I have finished with Fallout, New Vegas for the time being. Though I do sort of hate going back to games once I finish them...The great thing about that game, was that there was lots of time spent waiting for things to load - which gave me a lot of time to sort. Ok, sort of a mixed blessing, but I don't like to just sort. It gets a bit boring - though I do enjoy the satisfaction of emptying boxes and recycling lots of paper! Right now I am playing an RPG called Risen, which is ok, not great.

Audio books. I haven't been able to bring myself to read a real book in a long time. I was miffed to see the other day, that the last book in the WOT series has been postponed again. It was supposed to be out in March - then in November and now it is January, 2013. Eeek. Anyway, I have been listening to some classics and then some of whatever pops into my hand at the library. Speaking of which, I need to head to the library soon and replenish my supply!

Netflix versus Hulu vs Cable - I don't like commercials - well, that isn't strictly true - I do like some commercials sometimes. I would, as I have mentioned before I believe, watch a network that just had commercials on it. Not all the time, but occasionally for a while. I don't enjoy bad commercials. And I don't enjoy commercials breaking up a show I am watching. I like continuity, not choppiness. So, I don't enjoy commercial television if I can avoid it. I don't pay for Hulu Plus, so it gives me commercials. Poop. That leaves Netflix which is my friend, currently.

Speaking of commercial Television - I try not to get sucked into new shows if I can avoid them. I love Sherlock Holmes, so I thought I would try the new Sherlock show - Elementary. I was not thrilled. I don't think I will go out of my way to watch it again.

And look, my eyeballs (and eardrums) haven't rotted away to nothing. Yet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been working my way through your blog...okay I skimmed some of it, but I was looking for insight, not stalker material. I have read while your Mother's struggles became your own and it resonates with so much of my life. Although I would wish that on my Mother...and not on others in my life. My husband died in May of this year after a year long fight against a brain tumor that turned him into someone I barely knew. Now I am trying to wade through boxes of papers and have filled a dumpster once...That was his life, We had only been married a few years.
I just felt like reaching out to you....not as one of the groupies, but as a real person who wants you to know that life does sometimes suck...even for those of us who are positive people. It is overwhelming and messy...and lonely. And I hold onto the hope that my life will stay that way...or something similar, since perfect calm would probably make my head explode.

Jules said...

Hey You! Missing your blog. Reaching out to say hello and hope you are ok.